Burner heat sheild

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Burner heat sheild

Postby redtail28 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:43 am

How do y’all feel about using galvanized flashing
For a burner heat shield? I would think that after
Heating up all the bad stuff would burn off.
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby aleguy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:28 pm

If it's just standard galvanized, it's just steel coated with zinc to prevent rust. Nothing particularly dangerous. The only thing I would worry about is that flashing is very thin metal and would probably burn through very quickly.
you're probably better off finding some heavier gauge metal to fabricate a heat shield. What about space shuttle tiles? I hear they're excellent heat shields.
aleguy

Postby redtail28 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:22 pm

I bet ther hard to come by
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby Imakewort » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:21 pm

Galvanized metal is steel with a thin coating of zinc on it, Do not use it it can kill you. when heated it gives off a gas that will kill you here are two links if you do not believe me, and good luck if you do use it.

Quote from article!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Heating Galvanized Metal:
Be very careful of heating galvanized products. Burned zinc gives a toxic vapor that can make you VERY ill (even in a well vented shop). Before I knew of it I gave my self zinc fever (a form of heavy metal poisoning). It feels kind of like a bad flu. The effects are cumulative and once you have had it, if you are exposed YOU WILL GET IT AGAIN and a worse case. Welding galvanized metal and in some cases over heating brass along with brass grinding/sanding dust can also poison you. To be safe soak the part in muriatic acid overnight (to remove the zinc) and then then rinse with water. You may want to neutralize the acid with baking soda, then treat it as any other part.
MP

Zinc shakes:
I'll second MP on this. It is cumulative and really vivid! That is the short term effect, emphysema is the long term. Grimm stuff. I had my worst round of metal fume fever with projectile vomiting and #$# at #$# at # on a 15 second cycle for hours.
Pete F

please copy and read links I had a problem directly linking to them
[url]http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor/safety3/index.htm

[/url]http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-galvanized-metal.htm
Imakewort

Postby aleguy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:39 pm

Space shuttle tiles are probably available through the same junk dealer who handles the old stainless fuel tanks from the Saturn V rockets and various other pieces of equipment that NASA no longer uses. Sorry I can't remember his name at the moment, but he works out of SoCal and his stuff is usually bought by people making low-budget sci-fi and X-prize hopefuls.
Just go with heavy steel or stainless.
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum