immersion chiller

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

immersion chiller

Postby david79thomas » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:24 am

Guys I couldn't make the meeting yesterday because of a friend's birthday party. So, first of all I'm disappointed I didn't get to see you guys once again and I hope to make one very soon.
Now, I recently got an immersion chiller which does have an inlet and outlet like normal but also has a spout for recirculating the wort. And I planned on having ice water in my HLT to pump through the inlet/outlet of the chiller. But my question is, is it better to have the immersion chiller inside of the Boil Kettle recirculating and pumping ice water through the inlet/outlet, or inside of the ice bath in the HLT pumping hot wort through the inlet/outlet? Both instances you have to make sure it's perfectly sanitary. But I'm thinking you may have a slight advantage with it being in the ice bath as far as surface area?
david79thomas

Re: immersion chiller

Postby jimmiec » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:53 am

Traditionally an immersion chiller goes in the boil kettle and water is pumped through the immersion chiller. You could add another immersion chiller (pre chiller) to your ice bath to chill the water down even more out of the faucet and works great. The recirculation arm is great to move the hot wort around and creates a whirlpool action that gets all the hops and such more towards the center of the boil kettle. When down to transfer temp, remember to turn off the wirlpool and let sit for 5 minutes before starting to transfer so the hops will settle in the center of the boil kettle.

If you want to pump hot wort through the chiller than it is probably more efficient to go with a Counterflow Chiller http://www.morebeer.com/products/wort-c ... rflow.html , which to chilled wort goes into the fermentor (similar to a plate chiller). Through the immersion chiller, it would be chilled wort going back into the hot wort.
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby david79thomas » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:06 am

I have a Blichmann Therminator plate chiller but it doesn't come apart, therefore I don't trust that it would be sanitary. Therefore, I guess I should use the immersion chiller traditionally being in the boil kettle because I can clean the outside better than I can clean the coiled tubing. Thanks Jimmie!

I did consider the Sabco Plate-Pro Sanitary Wort Chiller though. If I hadn't already had the Therminator I would have sprung for it. https://www.brewmagic.com/product/plate ... t-chiller/ anyone used this?
david79thomas

Postby jimmiec » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:34 am

You can always santitaze your plate chiller in the oven and / or run boiling water through it and then some santizer.
malt waster
jimmiec

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum