2013 Louisiana Homebrew Clubs Brewing Competition

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

2013 Louisiana Homebrew Clubs Brewing Competition

Postby jimmiec » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:53 pm

The 2013 Louisiana Homebrew Clubs Brewing Competition!

Welcome Louisiana Home Brewers!
The Dead Yeast Society homebrew club will be hosting the 2013 Louisiana Homebrew Club's Brewing Competition. This a great opportunity for the Louisiana homebrew clubs to get together to discuss homebrew, get feedback on our brewing, and get to know each other. The competition is open to all brewers and follows Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) guidelines. Note that the BJCP guidelines have been modified to accept only the listed categories (1, 10, 12, and 15). Early mail-in and drop-off entries will be accepted from Friday March 8th through Friday April 12th with the judging and awards on Saturday April 13, 2013.

Judging and Stewarding
All judging will be held April 13th at 10 am April 13th at Cajun Brewing in Lafayette. Judges and stewards of all levels and experience are welcome. If you are willing to judge or steward, please email la.homebrew.comp2012@gmail.com. The competition is registered with the BJCP so registered judges and stewerds should receive BJCP points.

Entries
In order to make this competition a manageable size, we have limited the entries to four of the BJCP categories and are listed below. We are accepting only one entry per person or team per subcaterogry. Follow the following links for details of subcatergories and descriptions.

Categories for the 2013 Competition:

Entry Information:
      1. Contestants must submit three (3) samples of each beer that is being entered. The samples should be in plain, unmarked, brown 12 oz. longneck bottles with a plain bottle cap. Printed bottle caps should be blacked out with a permanent marker to ensure anonymity. Each sample should have a Bottle ID Form (click to download PDF) attached to the bottle via a rubber band. Please indicate on the Bottle ID form the category and subcategory the entry should be judged as.

2. Early mail-in and drop-off entries will be accepted from Friday March 8th through Friday April 12th and should be sent to:

Marcello's Wine Market
        C/O The Deadyeast Society
        2800 Johnson St.
        Lafayette, LA 70503

At Cajun Brewing, we will accept late entries on Saturday April 13th, between 9 and 10 am. It would be appreciated that a copy of the Bottle ID form be email ahead of time ( by April 11) to la.homebrew.comp2012@gmail.com (same email as last years). Entries should not be mailed to Cajun Brewing.

3. There is a $5 entry fee for each beer submission. Contestants are not limited to the number of categories entered. A check or money order should also be included (make payable to Dead Yeast Society). Total your entry fees and make the check or money order for that amount. Please do not send cash through the mail.

Event
This years event will be held on Saturday April 13 at the Cajun Brewing (address listed below). We will BBQ or do something for food. Anybody is welcome to help with the preparation / donation of food. However, please try to email la.homebrew.comp2012@gmail.com so we can coordinate some. We will try to do a raffle again this year.

April 13, 2012 at 10 am
    Time: 10 am (Judging) and approximately 4 pm (Awards)
    Cajun Brewing
    206 Rayburn Street
    Lafayette, LA 70506

Awards
1st, 2nd, & 3rd place awards will be issued for each category (Categories 1, 10, 12, and 15).

Packing and Shipping hints:

Carefully pack your entries in a sturdy box. Line the inside of your carton with a plastic trash bag. Partition and pack each bottle with adequate packaging material. Do not over pack! Write clearly: "Fragile. This Side Up." on the package. Your package should weigh less than 25 pounds. Please refrain from using messy packaging materials such as styrofoam peanuts or pellets; the preferred packaging material is bubble wrap.

Place entry forms and payment in a sealed zip-top bag. Additionally, enclose each of your bottle labels in a small zip-top bag before attaching to their respective bottles. This way it makes it possible for the organizer to identify specifically which beer has broken if there is damage during shipment.

Every reasonable effort will be made to contact entrants whose bottles have broken to make arrangements for sending replacement bottles.
It is not against any Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) regulations or federal laws to ship your entries via privately owned shipping company for analytical purposes. However, IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHIP ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES VIA THE U.S. POSTAL SERVICE. Private shipping companies have the right to refuse your shipment if they are informed that the package contains glass and/or alcoholic beverages. It is solely the entrant's responsibility to follow all applicable laws and regulations.
malt waster
jimmiec

Re: 2013 Louisiana Homebrew Clubs Brewing Competition

Postby jimmiec » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:06 pm

The event is registered with the BJCP. I have received the email from BJCP with our competition ID and such. Everyone judging and stewarding and such will receive their points.
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby tattoo-mama » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:40 am

Jimmy,

Have we gotten any donations for door prizes and/or the raffle?
ANCHORS AWAY!
tattoo-mama

Postby jimmiec » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:29 pm

Not yet. I sent you a PM to see if you are interested in helping out.
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby jimmiec » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:18 am

Sounds like tattoo-mama is having success in getting some donations.
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby jimmiec » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:03 am

I wanted to remind you that the competition is still this Saturday (April 13) and we have set up the following schedule:

0800 to 1000 Checking in late entries
1000 to 1030 Demonstration / Info to explain score sheets for the non-experienced judges
1030 to 1230 Judging
1230 to 1400 Lunch (provided) and raffle
1400 to 1430 BOS
1430 to 1500 2nd raffle?
1500 to 1530 Awards
1530 to 0000 Hang out?

Fill free to bring beer to drink and / or share.
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby jimmiec » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:09 pm

2013 Louisiana Homebrew Clubs Brewing Competition Results
April 13, 2013
Hosted by Dead Yeast Society

43 Entries

1 - Light Lager (1 Entry)
1) Keith Primeaux - Munich Helles - Redstick Brewmasters (3)

10 - American Ale (23 Entries)
1) Brett Dunham - Pale Ale - Brasseurs a la Maison (3)
2) Brian LeBron - Pale Ale - Crescent City (2)
3) Nathan Heilan - Amber - Brasseurs a la Maison (1)

12 - Porter (10 Entries)
1) David Normand - Baltic Porter - Dead Yeast Society (3)
2) Stephen Lawrence - Brown Porter - Redstick Brewmasters (2)
3) Blake Windell - Robust Porter - Brasseurs a la Maison (1)

15 - German Wheat and Rye Beer (9 Entries)
1) James Allen - Weizen - Malt Munching Mash Monsters (3)
2) Steve Seymour - Weizen - Dead Yeast Society (2)
3) Wayne Odem - Weizen - Brasseurs a la Maison (1)

Best of Show
1) James Allen - Weizen - Malt Munching Mash Monsters
2) David Normand - Baltic Porter - Dead Yeast Society
3) Brett Dunham - Pale Ale - Brasseurs a la Maison
HM) Nathan Heilan - Amber - Brasseurs a la Maison

The following is the club points with 3-2-1 points awarded 1st, 2nd, 3rd-place medals, respectively (based on Lone Star Circuit).

Brasseurs a la Maison - 6
Redstick Brewmasters - 5
Dead Yeast Society - 5
Malt Munching Mash Monsters - 3
Crescent City - 2
Last edited by jimmiec on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby jimmiec » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:29 pm

We would like to give a very special thanks to all of our generous sponsors for helping to make our competition a success!

Abita
Allagash
Basic Brewing
Briess
Bayou Teche
Cajun Brewing
Deschutes
Five Star Chemical
Full Sail
Greenroom
Northern Brewer
Schilling
Taphandles.com
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby S. Parks » Wed May 22, 2013 2:28 pm

Have the points for the judges been registered with BJCP yet? They don't (as of yet have mine).
S. Parks

Postby jimmiec » Wed May 22, 2013 6:25 pm

Yes the XML was submitted April 22 and got confirmation from David Houseman that it was received and correct. At the time of submittal, I did not have a Judge ID number for you. I didn't think you had one yet. I can follow up with David if you have a judge ID.
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby S. Parks » Sun May 26, 2013 8:41 am

I had pre-printed labels I had on each score sheet with my number on it, which is FO729.
S. Parks

Postby S. Parks » Sun May 26, 2013 8:56 am

I'm one point from Certifed, so if you could contact the BJCP via email and give them my judge number and vouch that I judged I would be grateful. 8)
S. Parks

Postby jimmiec » Sun May 26, 2013 4:52 pm

I saw your stickers but not the number. I will send it to David. I got your email address somewhere and will cc you.
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby S. Parks » Sun May 26, 2013 8:31 pm

I really appreciate the help. thanks again.
S. Parks

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum