keg posts

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

keg posts

Postby sdspespo1 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:05 pm

I bought two used Cornelius ball lock kegs and the quick release fittings I have do not seem to fit them. they are difficult to put on and impossible to remove. I had to cut one off with hack saw. I am considering getting new posts for them. Northern brewer lists types A,B,C. for different type kegs. More Beer lists just one type and poppets sold separately. Any suggestions before I order them as to why the do not fit easily?
sdspespo1

Postby aleguy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:00 pm

You may have the wrong posts. One of the fittings at least should fit on one of the posts whether it is in the correct place or not. Ball lock posts are supposed to be threaded so they are not interchangeable. Check the make and model stamped into the side of the keg to be sure you didn't get pin-lock conversions. If you did, then your best bet is to make them pin locks again.
Without seeing the kegs, that is the best I can do. Williams Brewing has very helpful information for sorting tjis out in their catalog. But basically, any ball-lock fitting should fit any ball-lock post no matter who made the keg.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby aleguy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:04 pm

That is to say gas to gas and liquid to liquid. Not that the two can be interchangeable.
aleguy

Postby aleguy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:08 pm

Also, ball-lock fittings can sometimes be very stubborn. This is normal especially in new fittings. Make sure everything is clean and use keg lube.
aleguy

Postby sdspespo1 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:58 am

Corneluis kegs and I did try to put the gas and liquid posts on. I was able to pull the gas off with considerable force but even with pipe wrenches I conuld not get the liquid post off. Had to cut it off. unfortunately I have good beer in both kegs that I cannot access
sdspespo1

Postby aleguy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:24 am

That definitely sounds fishy. I've dealy with fittings that were extremely tight and required great force to remove. But to have to cut a fitting off is just crazy. If they are Cornelius, they are definitely made to be ball-locks. Used to be it cost more to replace posts than to buy another keg. Not so with ball-locks today.
If you can't find the problem you may have to replace the posts. Best I can do is recommend Williams Brewing. They have the best selection of keg hardware. When I bought replacement posts for my 2 1/2 gallon kegs ( they were each missing one.) the posts came with poppets installed. I suggest you replace the rubber and get extra post o-rings if you do decide to replace the posts. Make sure you order the right ones for your keg model. Information is on the website.
aleguy

Postby sdspespo1 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:46 am

thanks
sdspespo1

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum