The 2012 Louisiana Homebrew Clubs Brewing Competition

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

The 2012 Louisiana Homebrew Clubs Brewing Competition

Postby jimmiec » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:44 pm

The 2012 Louisiana Homebrew Clubs Brewing Competition!

Welcome Louisiana Home Brewers!
The Dead Yeast Society homebrew club will be hosting the 2012 Louisiana Homebrew Club's brewing competition. This competition is open to any member of a Louisiana-based homebrew club. You can find the complete rules and details at Chaotic Brewing or Louisiana Homebrewers. By popular request, we have extended the deadline to 10 am on March 31, 2012. The March 31 drop-off entries, should be dropped off at Cajun brewing between 9 and 10 am with entry form completed. It would be appreciated that a copy of the entry form be email ahead of time (before March 30) to la.homebrew.comp2012@gmail.com. Judging for the 2012 Louisiana Homebrew Clubs Brewing Competition will be held 10 am March 31st at Cajun Brewing in Lafayette. Entries should not be mailed to Cajun Brewing. The address is provided for those who wish to attend the event and drop off entries on March 31 (between 9 and 10 am).

Judging
March 31, 2012
Time: 10 am (Judging) and approximately 330 pm (Awards)
Cajun Brewing
206 Rayburn Street
Lafayette, LA 70506

In order to make this competition accessible to the largest amount of brewers, we have limited our style selections to only ale categories. With the large selection of quality malt extracts, we feel that any of these styles can be successfully brewed as extract beers to be competitive in this event.

Categories for the 2012 Competition:

Entry Process:
    1. Contestants must submit three (3) samples of each beer that is being entered. The samples should be in plain, unmarked, brown 12 oz. longneck bottles with a plain bottle cap. Printed bottle caps should be blacked out with a permanent marker to ensure anonymity. Samples should be sent to:

Marcello's Wine Market
      C/O The Deadyeast Society
      2800 Johnson St.
      Lafayette, LA 70503

2. Entries will be accepted beginning Friday, February 24th. The deadline for your submissions is Monday, March 26th. By popular request, we have extended the deadline to 10 am on March 31, 2012. The March 31 drop-off entries, should be dropped off at Cajun brewing between 9 and 10 am with entry form completed. It would be appreciated that a copy of the entry form be email ahead of time (before March 30) to la.homebrew.comp2012@gmail.com.

3. There is a $5 entry fee for each beer submission. Contestants are not limited to the number of categories entered.

4. Each submission should have an official Bottle Identification Form attached to the bottle via a rubber band. The form should be filled in, and a corresponding Entry/Recipe Form should be included in the packaging. A check or money order should also be included (make payable to Dead Yeast Society). Total your entry fees and make the check or money order for that amount. Please do not send cash through the mail.

Awards
1st, 2nd, & 3rd place awards will be issued for each category.

Packing and Shipping hints:

Carefully pack your entries in a sturdy box. Line the inside of your carton with a plastic trash bag. Partition and pack each bottle with adequate packaging material. Do not over pack! Write clearly: "Fragile. This Side Up." on the package. Your package should weigh less than 25 pounds. Please refrain from using messy packaging materials such as styrofoam peanuts or pellets; the preferred packaging material is bubble wrap.
Place entry forms and payment in a sealed zip-top bag. Additionally, enclose each of your bottle labels in a small zip-top bag before attaching to their respective bottles. This way it makes it possible for the organizer to identify specifically which beer has broken if there is damage during shipment.

Every reasonable effort will be made to contact entrants whose bottles have broken to make arrangements for sending replacement bottles.
It is not against any Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) regulations or federal laws to ship your entries via privately owned shipping company for analytical purposes. However, IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHIP ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES VIA THE U.S. POSTAL SERVICE. Private shipping companies have the right to refuse your shipment if they are informed that the package contains glass and/or alcoholic beverages. It is solely the entrant's responsibility to follow all applicable laws and regulations.
Last edited by jimmiec on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:36 am, edited 11 times in total.
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:45 pm

Links to Entry Forms, Sponsor Info, and Bottle ID Forms can be found here:
http://chaoticbrewing.weebly.com/competition.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page to find the downloadable content.
In extreme circumstances, the assailants can be stopped by removing the head or destroying the brain. I will repeat that: by removing the head or destroying the brain. - News Anchor, Shaun of the Dead
GuitarLord5000

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:52 am

8)
Last edited by GuitarLord5000 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In extreme circumstances, the assailants can be stopped by removing the head or destroying the brain. I will repeat that: by removing the head or destroying the brain. - News Anchor, Shaun of the Dead
GuitarLord5000

Postby jimmiec » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:57 am

Judging / Stewards:
Sal (Mystic Krewe of Brew) - Judge
Adam (DYS) - Judge (Novice)
Emily (DYS) - Judge (Novice)
Steve (DYS) - Judge (Novice) / Stewart
Charlie (Redstick) - Judge (National)
Lance (DYS) - Judge (Novice) / Stewart
Keith (DYS) - Judge (Novice) / Stewart
James (DYS) - Judge (Novice) / Stewart
Charlie (MMMM) - Judge / Steward
JB (MMMM) - Steward
Ray (DYS) - Steward
Mike (Mystic Krewe of Brew) - Judge
Anthony (Mystic Krewe of Brew) - Judge
Charles (Mystic Krewe of Brew) - Steward
Elise (Mystic Krewe of Brew) - Steward
S. Park (The Shade Tree Brewers of Central Louisiana?) - Judge / Steward

Martin (DYS) - Competition Organizer
Jim C. (DYS) - Competition Organizer, Competition Registration

Beer:
Hefeweizen (5 gallons) - Jim C. (DYS)

Food (Pulled Pork, Chicken, Sausage, and Jambalaya):
Gene (DYS)
Karl (DYS)

Raffle:
Kevin (DYS)
Last edited by jimmiec on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:46 am, edited 9 times in total.
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby jimmiec » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:24 pm

Note a change to deadline:

By popular request, we have extended the deadline to 10 am on March 31, 2012. The March 31 drop-off entries, should be dropped off at Cajun brewing between 9 and 10 am with entry form completed. It would be appreciated that a copy of the entry form be email ahead of time (before March 30) to la.homebrew.comp2012@gmail.com.
Last edited by jimmiec on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malt waster
jimmiec

We're In!

Postby Charlie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:38 pm

At least four Monsters and five entries are coming. None of the "Will Attend" respondants are judges, or feel qualified to judge, but we will all help out wherever needed.

I can't wait! This is gonna be fun!

Charlie
Charlie

Postby aleguy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:04 pm

Glad some of you yankees are coming, Charlie! :wink:
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Need Help?

Postby S. Parks » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:46 pm

I will definitely be there. I'm working on my BJCP, but not yet certified. I'll make it there early (Gene said he'd the there by 7:00) and help in any way I can. :P :P :P I need some room in my beer storage fridges, so I'll bring plenty of Home brew to share.
S. Parks

Re: Need Help?

Postby Charlie » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:02 pm

S. Parks wrote:I will definitely be there.

Hey Sparks! Good to see you're be on site. Look us up!

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Postby Charlie » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:09 pm

Here's what we got:

Will Attend: (4)

Charlie & Patti
JB and Sharon

Will Enter: 7

Charlie (2)
jballen (2)
Jerm (1)
+rpr (1)
brewbacca (1)

This is gonna be fun! I'm looking forward to seeing you guys again, it's been a while. If you like Stone better buy some before I hit town, otherwise it's gone :P .

We're gonna convene at the Blue Frog after the gig and talk about this and that and scarf some food. Hope to see y'all there too.

Charlie (us yankees say "y'all" and stuff :D )
Charlie

Postby aleguy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:29 am

Charlie, where or what is the blue frog? We k ow the blue dog cafe, but I think you had somewhere else in mind.
aleguy

Postby jimmiec » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:40 am

The following is the schedule I'm hoping we will follow tomorrow for the competition:

1000 - 1100 checking entries / judging info / calibration tasting
1100 - 1300 judging / placing of 1st to 3rd
1300 - 1400 eat and 1st raffle
1400 - 1430 BOS
1500 - 1530 2nd Raffle / silent auction
1530 - 1600 Awards / Score Sheets Avaliable
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby Charlie » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:45 pm

Hey!

Patti and I thoroughly enjoyed the comp. Excellent food, great prizes and good folks.

I was hanging out at the table out back, and Gene gave me some of the best advice I've ever had. He said "Have a cupcake."

Charlie (has a severe case of brewery envy)
Charlie

Postby aleguy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:04 pm

Always good advice, Charlie! ;-)
aleguy

Postby jimmiec » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:25 am

2012 Louisiana Homebrew Clubs Competition Results
March 31, 2112
Sponsored by Dead Yeast Society

47 Entries

10A American Pale (14 Entries)

1) Steven Parks Alexandria,LA 10A American Pale - The Shade Tree Brewers of Central Louisiana - Finnigans

2) Micheal Mitchell Slidell,LA 10A American Pale - Mystic Krewe of Brew - Pale Ale

3) Charles Dempsey Shreveport,LA 10A American Pale - Malt Munching Mash Monsters -Burtie's Citra Sorachi Pale

11B Southern English Brown (9 Entries)

1) Jeremy Saye Bossier City,LA 11B Southern English Brown - Mash Munching Malt Monsters -Rye the Grass is Brown Ale

2) Larry Rushing Pairieville,LA 11B Southern English Brown - Brasseurs a la Maison -Bulldog Brown Ale

3) Steven Parks Alexandria,LA 11B Southern English Brown - The Shade Tree Brewers of Central Louisiana - SEB

HM) Keith Primeaux Baton Rouge,LA 11B Southern English Brown - Redstick Brewmasters -Chico's Session Brown

15A Weizen (7 Entries)

1) James Cox Lafayette,LA` 15A Weizen - Dead Yeast Society -Hefeweizen - 02

2) Blake Winchell Baton Rouge,LA 15A Weizen - Brasseurs a la Maison -Weizen

3) Gene Nelson Lafayette,LA 15A Weizen - DYS -#128 Hefe

18D Belgian Golden Strong Ale (3 Entries)

1) Adam English Lafayette,LA 18D Belgian Golden Strong Ale - Dead Yeast Society - Golden Drank

2) Steven Parks Alexandria,LA 18D Belgian Golden Strong Ale - Belgian Strong Ale

3) Lance Hardin and Keith Bearb Lafayette,LA 18D Belgian Golden Strong Ale - DYS - Gold Member

99A American Style Black Ale (14 Entries)

1) Keith Primeaux Baton Rouge,LA 99A American Style Black Ale - Redstick Brewmasters - Dazed & Confused IBA

2) David Komendanvkik Baton Rouge,LA 99A American Style Black Ale - Brasseurs a la Maison - Acadian Black IPA

3) Steven Parks Alexandria,LA 99A American Style Black Ale - The Shade Tree Brewers of Central Louisiana - Turmoil

Best of Show
Keith Primeaux Baton Rouge,LA 99A American Style Black Ale - Redstick Brewmasters - Dazed & Confused IBA
malt waster
jimmiec

Next

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum