Pin lock socket

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Pin lock socket

Postby justin.granger78 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:26 am

One of my pin locks is leaking out of the liquid post. Can i just change the oring or will I need to change the spring too. Anyone have a Pin lock socket I can borrow if it is just a matter of changing the oring?
There will be a day when I can no longer do this...today is not that day.
justin.granger78

Postby aleguy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:32 am

I always just use a crescent wrench. What you neep to change depends on where it's leaking. If it's leaking from the top, you need a new poppet. If lt's leaking around the bottom, you need a new dip tube gasket.
Get the make and model number off the keg and go to Williams Brewing. Make sure you get the right parts for the make and model. They are NOT interchangeable. Except for lid gaskets.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby aleguy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:44 am

If you're ordering from Williams, you might as well get a few other things as well. A pin-lock socket if you really think you need one. Maybe some of the "fat lid gaskets" (I forget what Williams calls them) extra poppets and rubber for your other kegs, etc.
I like the clear plastic tackle box tray containers to keep that stuff in. You can label the various sections so you remember what kegs they go to, etc.
aleguy

Postby justin.granger78 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:45 am

Its leaking out the post so a new poppet. I already tried with a cresent and it was so tight it was starting to round off. It sat up for years before I got it. I think I may just donate it to the club and buy a new one. If anyone wants to have a go @ it.
There will be a day when I can no longer do this...today is not that day.
justin.granger78

Postby aleguy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:48 am

Well, since pin locks are about the only used kegs available any more, you might want to get set up to dewl with them. Even pin lock prices have been going up fast over the last year.
aleguy

Postby triple-oh_six » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:10 pm

3/16 socket
dremel w/ cut off wheel to cut 5 slots:

triple-oh_six

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum