Minnesota State Fair is coming up, anyone entering any beers

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Minnesota State Fair is coming up, anyone entering any beers

Postby Mob_Barley » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:37 pm

Is anyone planning on entering any beers in the Minnesota State Fair? I can guarantee you that they will have some great judges there that will give some good feedback on our beers. I think we need to start coordinating some entries into big competitions, and having some AHA club only entries from our club. It's not about winning so much as it is about improving your recipes and processes and making the best beers you can make. I'd like to enter a couple if they are ready.
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby aleguy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:44 am

I've always felt we needed a "competition coordinator" to help us greenhorns figure out how, where, when and what to enter. as far as the Minnesota state fair is concerned. . . ?
aleguy

Postby redtail28 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:49 am

We could bottle some of the left over beer
from the Gulf brew
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby Mob_Barley » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:43 pm

I think that this is an individual competition. Each person decides what beers they have they feel will either do well, or feels that they need some feedback on. If you have a beer that you feel is really good, but don't know just how good it is, entering it into a competition with good judges put on by a top notch club, will give you some good feedback on how good it really is. The constructive comments given by the judges will help you tweak your recipe or your process so that you can make a better beer next time. It's nice to get feedback from the club members at the meetings, but top ranked BJCP judges from the Minnesota area, where they make really great beer, would be invaluable.

If several members from a club enter, and do well, who knows, maybe the club could get some recognition. If nothing else, our club name will be "out there" in the homebrewing community for everyone to see. Just my opinion though.
Mob_Barley

Postby aleguy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:14 pm

I spent many summers in the Land of Sky Blue Waters as a child. As I recal they produce almost exclusively pale lagers. Doubtless this has changed by now, but I'm not sure that being from Minnesota is a ringing endorsement of someone's ability to judge the funkier styles.
aleguy

Postby Mob_Barley » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:09 pm

I think the craft beer movement started quite a few years after you were a child Aleguy. The St Paul Homebrewers Club has been the AHA Homebrew Club of the Year for the last two years. I believe they sponsor the Mississippi Mash Out and The Glockenspiel homebrew competitions each year. Two of the six ninkasi winners for this year are from their club as well as the AHA mead maker of the year. I think they can probably judge and make something besides pale lagers these days.
Mob_Barley

Postby Mob_Barley » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:10 pm

I think the craft beer movement started quite a few years after you were a child Aleguy. The St Paul Homebrewers Club has been the AHA Homebrew Club of the Year for the last two years. I believe they sponsor the Mississippi Mash Out and The Glockenspiel homebrew competitions each year. Two of the six ninkasi winners for this year are from their club as well as the AHA mead maker of the year. I think they can probably judge and make something besides pale lagers these days.
Mob_Barley

Postby aleguy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:48 pm

OK already, you don't need to say it twice. I was unaware of all their laurels. and you're right, back then Pabst Blue Ribbon and Coors were considered micro brews. I guess it's true, you really can't go home again. I'm told it is no longer safe to even drink the water out of Lake Superior without filtering it. Everything changes.
aleguy

Postby Mob_Barley » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:29 am

I did some reading, and this competition is only open to Minnesota brewers. Oh well.
Mob_Barley

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum