time to build a new 10 gallon system

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

time to build a new 10 gallon system

Postby Frankenbrew » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:16 pm

I'm starting to look at some 10 gallon system setups and they can get pretty creative. I live in an apartment with limited space so I need a system that ether folds up to put inside or make a permanent install outside. I want to do the latter but it would need to be protected from the elements.( rust proof.). I have an idea to put it on my balcony and if there is not enough room some on the balcony and some on the floor below. It is a town house. I'm just concerned about cooking on my balcony and also would that make cleanup harder. Here are some pics to see if there is enoigh room or not.
Attachments
IMAG0597.jpg
IMAG0597.jpg (837.79 KiB) Viewed 6293 times
There's only two things you can be sure of in life. Sex and death. But at least after death you don't feel nauseous.

-woody allen
Frankenbrew

Postby Frankenbrew » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:17 pm

This is the wide shot.
Attachments
IMAG0596-1.jpg
IMAG0596-1.jpg (394.13 KiB) Viewed 6291 times
There's only two things you can be sure of in life. Sex and death. But at least after death you don't feel nauseous.

-woody allen
Frankenbrew

Postby Frankenbrew » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:07 pm

I also need to overcome my cooldown system too. There is no place to hookup a hoes close out side.

-woody allen
Frankenbrew

Postby jimmiec » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:11 pm

They make a hose adapter for a faucet. I would worry about running propane burners on the wooden balcony too but there may be a mat you could put down under the burners.

I was able to brew out in the front yard when I lived in an apartment complex. We were on the second floor with only a small concrete patio.
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby Frankenbrew » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:29 pm

The floor is concreat. I could keep it away from the wall and next to the banister.

-woody allen
Frankenbrew

Postby aleguy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:48 pm

I can't swear to it, but I think thevfire codes require you to be at least 10 feet from the building. If you can swing by Jimmies tomarrow, you cans see the system I designed for him when he lived in a tiny apartment. Easy storage for the burner part of the system. It would also be good for you to get a look at a system in action. Fair warning: it took Jimmie and I more than a year to put the whole thing together.
Either way, you should come to the brew if you can.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

the new system

Postby Frankenbrew » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:02 pm

Ok. I'm not doing it on my balcony so I'm going with the portable system. It's hard to transport water up stairs and the beer will be finished on floor one. Better to keep it on the same level. There is a hose out side to Use two doors down so I can use that. I'm making another Jimmy system. Any ideas to upgrade it or improve on it are welcome. This will be funded by me and I will do any labor I can. Any ideas will be welcome. The electrical system will be last so right now the design of the burners and cooling system and there will be a pump. I can spring for that so I don't have to lift 10 gallons of hot wart or water.

Let's be even more innovative on this one.

-woody allen
Frankenbrew

Postby aleguy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:12 pm

It would be hard to improve on the Jimmie. I WOULD make it 1/2" wider though. If you want to put in the automation later, it means putting in place holders. Someting that would take up the space of the Asco valves which can be removed later. Also, I would put in the tee fittings for you pilots and just put plugs in for now.
We could make the burners shorter by a little. You might also want feet on them so you don't scratch your floors where you store them. The only way I can think to outdo the Jimmie would be to get kettles of the appropriate diameters and get triclover fittings welded in so they can nest for storage. That was originally in the plans, but was scrapped because Jimmie got a house.
Having said all that. It is your system. So the ultimate design is up to you.
What do YOU want it to be?
aleguy

Postby Frankenbrew » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:23 pm

The ultimate system. I will be here for 2 more years at the least but if I move I will still be renting.

This system will be in use at least once a month but I would like to do twice. At least. It depends on how fast the beer can be drunk without using up my storage. More soda kegs are defiantly in order after. Ideally I would brew every weekend but 10 gallons is a lot of beer every week.

-woody allen
Frankenbrew

Postby aleguy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:06 pm

Well, if you want a Jimmie, that's easy enough. We know what needs to be changed. You just need to decide what burner top height you want. We could maybe make tem a bit smaller across too if we can source some smaller pipe to use as heat shields.
Start sketching out your ideas and maybe sourcing materials for the frames. We need to find somewhere to build it as well. I doubt your apartment is a suitable place to cut and weld steel.
This is one more reason why I think the DYS needs a clubhouse.
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:09 pm

Ok, this is something we are thinking about making for club equipment.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/electric-heating-element-rims-eherms-293810/

The idea is that you could use an igloo mash tun, and store this portable RIMS system inside the tun when not in use. You would still need a crawfish burner, and a kettle for a full system. But I'm thinking you could put one together with everything for under $500 bucks by getting the kettle, burner and mash tun at academy.

While I haven't seen one in action, the guys on that forum have been using it for years.

While its not as pretty as Jimmies, its automated, and would easily work in your situation.

Thoughts?
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:11 pm

Bear in mind we haven't tried this yet. We don't know if it will work, or how well. My feeling is that with a cooler, you don't really need a heater for mashing. I suppose you could use it to heat srtike water, but you would still need two kettles (which you are on track to have) and two burners. One for sparge water and one for boiling. Though you could get away with just one burner and kettle by collecting your wort in buckets.
This brings to mind the advice I usually give everyone. Take your time and look around before you start building your automated RIMS. Most of us took a year or more to build one. Meanwhile just get the bare minimum you need to brew and learn to make good beer. The best system in the world will not make you a better brewer, it just makes brewing easier.
aleguy

Postby aleguy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:32 pm

I would like to note that Redtail's, my, and Jimmie's stands were all built with free materials. Notably bed frames and old water heater tanks. Unfortunately, none of has come across a single bedframe nor water heater since we started work on the Jimmie. I suspect it's the economy. People are holding on to things longer, and more people are scavenging for scrap. If you see any bedframes (hollywood style) in the trash. Grab them quick!
aleguy

Postby jimmiec » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:17 pm

I have been looking but have not see any bed frames, even when living in the apartment. Also, an apartment complex is down the road and only see mattresses.
malt waster
jimmiec

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum