Wine bottles

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Wine bottles

Postby jimmiec » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:34 pm

Marcello's sold me screw-off wine bottles and I didn't check them till now when I was setting the depth the corker pushes the cork. I guess we grabbed the bottles from the wrong stack or something. Are these bottles OK or should I take them back? They claim online the twist off necks differ from the cork bottles but not sure about these. The cork seems to fit OK.

Does anyone sanitize the corks or a minute or so? The test cork went into the bottle very easily without wetting them.
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby triple-oh_six » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:44 am

not sure about the bottles

I always have a container of star san, and throw all my corks in, I pull them out as I go, can't hurt
triple-oh_six

Postby jimmiec » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:42 pm

Got some of the non twist-off bottles today and don't see any difference with the necks on the inside of the bottles with the tapering starting in the same spot.
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby alms66 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:33 am

I'm not a wine-maker, but I think the difference is in the wall thickness of the bottles, ID is identical, but due to threading, thickness is less in twist-off bottles...
could be completely wrong though, like I said, not my realm of experience.

With that said, when I started brewing beer everyone said not to use twist-off bottles for beer as they'd explode due to that same weakness, would oxidize faster, and just plain sucked compared to "normal" pry-off beer bottles. I brewed for nearly a year on twist-off bottles alone and never had any noticeable difference between them and "normal" bottles in my second year of brewing, before moving to kegging in my third year of brewing...
and then I was left wondering WTF I was bottling instead of kegging for those first two years. :lol:

Keg the damn wine! :twisted:
alms66

Postby aleguy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:55 am

Hmmm. Force carbonate the wine and use a counter-pressure filler? Sparkling Pear wine anyone? :wink:
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum