Wine yeast for beer

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Wine yeast for beer

Postby jimmiec » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:37 am

Has anyone tried fermenting beer with a blend of wine and beer yeasts or strictly wine yeast?

http://www.babblebelt.com/newboard/thre ... pg=1&add=1

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The- ... ea-Comfort
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby aleguy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:58 am

I believe the Belgian strains are considered by some to be of the Bayanus species and are therefore technically wine yeasts adapted to beer production. They certainly look more like wine yeasts under the microscope.
While I haven't tried it yet, I have thought about using Llalvin 1122 for an ultra-high gravity beer. Something in the range of 24% ABV. I know meadmakers can get to that level using that yeast.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby jimmiec » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:41 pm

I would be interested in the wine yeast more for fruity esters like pear, apricot, apple, blackberry, etc. I have only got esters of banana and citrus from the Belgian yeasts but have only tried a couple of White Labs.
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby aleguy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:53 am

Maybe you should get a bunch of gallon bottles and split a batch 10 or 12 ways and try out different wine yeasts and different temps for fermentation. That way you could brew one batch and have lots of different trials from it. I suspect you will have to age the beers for a very long time in order to get the flavors you're looking for. Wines don't develop those flavors for many years and oxidation definitely plays a role in their development.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum