Brewing Saturday - November 12

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Brewing Saturday - November 12

Postby jimmiec » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:47 am

I'm going to brew an all-grain Porter this coming Saturday (11/12) and going to start around 11am. Anyone is welcome to come over, just PM me for directions or address. Also, probably BBQ some pork butt.
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby aleguy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:25 am

I thought your first RIMS brew was going to be a step-mash. Porter is generally just a single-infusion.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby sdspespo1 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:13 pm

gotta test the system as much as possible....yea!

Do you think I can find a pH system that would work at a pool store or at lowes or someplace like that. I want to start testing my water for sparge etc.
sdspespo1

Postby aleguy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:10 am

Pool supply pH tests aren't nearly accurate enough. You might be able to find some test strips at Lowe's or Home Depot in the garden department that will give you a good ballpark idea. I'm not really sure if they have the right range for brewing since they are designed for soil testing. Personally, I think that's unnecessary for most beer styles brewed with Lafayette water. Usually the problems, if any, can be traced to process rather than water.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby jimmiec » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:57 am

I have some beer pH papers (range 4.6 to 6.2) you can have if you just want to test your water a couple times. They suggest the liquid should be at 65F to measure the pH since pH will change with temperature. Some pH meters have a temp correction. Northern brewer has:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/milw ... meter.html
malt waster
jimmiec

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum