flaked barley

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

flaked barley

Postby sdspespo1 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:55 pm

any one got any?? Going to try a oatmeal stout but marcello's is out of it. I bought some black patent malt as a sub. Not sure if it is the same, but was told it was an alternative.
sdspespo1

Postby jimmiec » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:55 pm

I thought I had some flaked barley but I guess I used it. I do have 2 lbs of flaked wheat, which I think would be a better substitute. However, you probably will be putting flaked oats into the mash and not sure if you need the flaked barley. You may be able to find some flaked barley at a natural foods store. I have never been to one in Lafayette.

Flaked barley (unmalted) is not the same as malted barley and not even close to roasted barley and black patent. I don't think black patent should be a substitute for roasted barley and definitely not for flaked barley. I would not make a stout without roasted barley though.
malt waster
jimmiec

flaked barley

Postby sdspespo1 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:30 pm

Kevin at the store said they were about the same. I did the same substitution for the stout I made yesterday. I found several recipies. may need to look for one that I can find ingredients for. May need to postpone the oatmeal and try something else.
sdspespo1

Postby aleguy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:33 am

If drug emporium doesn't have flaked barley, you will probably have to order online. I also have to agree with Jimmiec. Black patent isn't even close to roasted Barley. Kevin will often say one thing is about the same as another. Keep in mind he's only brewed one batch of beer in all the years I've known him, so he doesn't really use the products he carries. I'm surprised he doesn't have any roasted barley, though. I could have sworn I saw a whole bin full last Friday. Crystal on the other hand . . .
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby jimmiec » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:44 am

Marcello's should be able to order it and have by this Friday, no?
malt waster
jimmiec

flaked barley

Postby sdspespo1 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:20 am

I ordered it through Northern Brewer. Hopefully it will get here by Fri/Sat. the shipping on this stuff is almost as expensive as the products themselves...
sdspespo1

Postby aleguy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:06 pm

Yeah, That's why we generally order a whole bunch of stuff at once. They usually have flat-rate shipping for most things, so if you buy $200 or more, the shipping cost is the same as if you buy $2. Not sure if NB has flat-rate. I haven't bought from them in a while. Austin Home Brew would probably have gotten it here sooner.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby alms66 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:21 pm

Black Patent tastes horrible in high doses, very astringent. Roasted Barley is what you want to use in a stout to get the roasted flavor. Black Patent should only be used for coloring if you want to darken a beer, and even then I'd recommend no more than 1/4 lbs. per 5 gallons. IIRC, flaked barley more or less only improves head retention (though flaked wheat does this too) and adds a little bit to mouth-feel - the flaked oatmeal will do that much better though.
alms66

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:22 pm

+1 to Austin Homebrew. They'll have your package to your door within a day or two if you order it early in the week. It's the only online shop that I'll order yeast from anymore during the hotter months. Anywhere else takes too long, and I end up with a pretty vial of truck-roasted dead yeast.
In extreme circumstances, the assailants can be stopped by removing the head or destroying the brain. I will repeat that: by removing the head or destroying the brain. - News Anchor, Shaun of the Dead
GuitarLord5000

black patent malt

Postby sdspespo1 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:00 am

Alms66 I used 4 oz for the 5 gal so fits your recommendations.
guitarlord thanks, still leaning where to get stuff from when not available at marcello's.

Maybe we can put together a list of sources web sites etc to refer to for supplies particularly considering shipping times for perishable. I am sure that most of the members who have been around for a while have favorite sites for one reason or another.
sdspespo1

Postby alms66 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:08 am

Other than Austin Homebrew or taking a drive to Baton Rouge or New Orleans, I think this is the only other place that's close:
http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/
Or asking other club members for help, of course. :D
alms66

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum