control panel

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

control panel

Postby ray.lear » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:43 pm

I want to build a control panel for a RIMS, what is the best thing to use for the box and where can I find one.
ray.lear

Postby jimmiec » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:33 pm

Aleguy and I are building a RIMs control box from an irrigation box that you can get at lowes or home depot (slightly cheaper). We framed the inside with 1/2-in scrap wood (glued) and cut out a piece of metal (from an electric box cover) for the face and screwed it into the wood.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_126702-74985-57 ... facetInfo=
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby lhardin02 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:55 pm

That is what we used as well. :P
lhardin02

Postby aleguy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:14 am

The irrigation control boxes have become standard in the DYS because they are the best off-the-shelf boxes we have been able to find. They DO need to be modified because the front panel does not leave enough room (depth) for the controllers (Love or Auber) in its stock position. The easiest way to overcome this is to epoxy some 1/2" wide pieces of wood all around just below the lip of the opening and replacing the original face with sheet metal.
A word of warning, though. The control boxes have shrunk in size recently, and all dimensions are significantly smaller than the older ones, which can make fitting complex arrangements into them more difficult. You can still probably make everything you want in it fit, but you need to take your time and be sure to allow clearance for the wood pieces.
There are several commercial examples of control boxes that would also work very nicely, but the cost is prohibitive.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum