Shreveport Brew3

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Shreveport Brew3

Postby Jerm » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:46 am

I don't know if y'all are interested but the 3rd annual Shreveport Brew festival is Saturday, October 15. The Mash monsters and ur sister club, SUDS will both be seving our brews there along the a selection of Commercial Beer
Jerm

Postby aleguy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:54 pm

SUDS?? I didn't even know we had a sister club, and I've been a board member for ?six years?
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:30 am

Pretty sure the "ur" was supposed to be "our", that means they are MMMM's sister club.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:58 pm

Two homebrew clubs in Shreveport? Man, you guys must have a huge homebrew community!
In extreme circumstances, the assailants can be stopped by removing the head or destroying the brain. I will repeat that: by removing the head or destroying the brain. - News Anchor, Shaun of the Dead
GuitarLord5000

Postby Jerm » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:26 am

GuitarLord5000 wrote:Two homebrew clubs in Shreveport? Man, you guys must have a huge homebrew community!

Not really, there is a good deal of overlap, Suds doesn't really have meetings.

In any case, Brew is a lot of fun, much more relaxed than Gulfbrew. If anyone wants to serve some beer let me know.
Jerm

Postby aleguy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:52 am

To be honest, i think most of us are still pretty worn out from Gulf Brew and still trying to refill our personal kegerators. Between the late summer heat and the severe depletion of our grain stores, most of us are happy just to brew enough for ourselves for a while. But there might be a few hardy souls who are willing to brew extra again.
aleguy

Postby Jerm » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:23 pm

aleguy wrote:To be honest, i think most of us are still pretty worn out from Gulf Brew and still trying to refill our personal kegerators. Between the late summer heat and the severe depletion of our grain stores, most of us are happy just to brew enough for ourselves for a while. But there might be a few hardy souls who are willing to brew extra again.

I totaly understand, if you want to come up and be a serving wench, I may be able to help, let me know. I don't know what our allotment is yet, or our turnout, but who knows....
Jerm

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:43 pm

Man, I wish I didn't work 24 hour call. I'd LOVE to come up to S-Port and meet all the rest of your krewe! As it is, I probably won't be able to make it. If somebody from DYS decides to go, let me know. I'd be willing to brew something up for the festival, provided I have enough lead time. Lead time meaning LOTS of time, with the 24 hour call job and all that.
Brew festival aside, we really need to get the Louisiana Club Only competition rolling again. Aside from the occasional forum post, that's about the only real interaction our clubs have with one another. I think it's sad that we've let it slip by us yet again.
Back on topic, I hope you guys have one helluva Brew Fest! Send me a link to all the pictures. That goes double if ya'll get some funny drunk pictures!
In extreme circumstances, the assailants can be stopped by removing the head or destroying the brain. I will repeat that: by removing the head or destroying the brain. - News Anchor, Shaun of the Dead
GuitarLord5000

Postby aleguy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:31 am

Not much on competitions myself. I know MMMM are heavily involved in the Texas curcuit. I hear complaints from some members about not enough DYS people entering competitons, but no one's stopping them. As far as the LA state club competition, Guitarlord, you're more than welcome to take the lead on it. We really fell down when we decided it should be a rotating competition and let Redstick host it. I think if we had kept it in the Hub City, it would be going stronger than ever.
That being said, I think if we CAN get it going again, it may well become an annual event for us as it was meant to in the first place. However, I think many of the original board members have moved beyond such things and are now focused on various other beer-related projects that require much more intense involvement. It's time for the younger members to take up the cause and keep this club moving forward. We old timers aren't going to be around forever. It's up to you guys to learn as much from us as you can, and to take over the primary functions of the club. I think we have laid a pretty solid foundation for you to build on.
aleguy

Postby Charlie » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:10 pm

GuitarLord5000 wrote:Brew festival aside, we really need to get the Louisiana Club Only competition rolling again. Aside from the occasional forum post, that's about the only real interaction our clubs have with one another.

+1! I'd like to see a Louisiana club only comp. It could lead to bigger things.

Charlie
Charlie

Postby jimmiec » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:38 pm

Like a LA homebrewers festival?
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:03 pm

How awesome would that be?!
I'd be happy to take on the networking between clubs to get something together for next year sometime (March or April?). Organizing the competition itself would have to be left to someone with a better schedule than mine. Besides, my experience with Homebrew competitions is laughable.
It could be a pretty fun shindig, when it's all said and done. We have more homebrew clubs in LA than I thought. Here's the ones I know of, please add any that I'm missing:

The Deadyeast Society - Lafayette
Malt Munching Mash Monsters - Shreveport
Shreveport Urban Diastatic Spargers - Shreveport
The Mystic Krewe of Brew - New Orleans
Brasseurs a la Maison - Baton Rouge
Redstick Brewmasters - Baton Rouge
Shade Tree Brewers - Alexandria
GuitarLord5000

Postby aleguy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:33 am

There's one in Covington too. Can't remember their name. I think there MUST be one in Lake Charles, but no one has heard of it if there is. Maybe we need to send a delegation over there and get one started.
aleguy

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:34 am

I found this nifty little map.
http://find.mapmuse.com/map/brew-clubs/ ... -91.5423,7
I'm not sure how up to date it is, but it does have the fairly recent Shade Tree brewclub on it. According to this map, I'd need to add:

Krewe du Brew - Monroe, LA
Crescent City Homebrewers - Kenner, LA
Les Brasseurs Bon Temps - Sulphur, LA
Chalmette Home Brewers - Chalmette, LA (no longer active due to Katrina)
Novice Homebrewers Assoc. of New Orleans - New Orleans, LA (unable to contact)

That's a total of 11 homebrew clubs in Louisiana! I think a LA Clubs Comp. could be extremely cool if we could get even HALF of them to participate!
Last edited by GuitarLord5000 on Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
GuitarLord5000

Postby jimmiec » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:13 pm

If you need any help guitarlord5000, just let me know. When ever you are in town, maybe we should get together and have a couple sour or funky beers and discuss. I'm most likely going to Dixie Cup and ask a couple of them any questions. Also, yeastmeister might know the answers too and discusss on here. I have never sat down and thought about the details.
malt waster
jimmiec

Next

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum