Mead Day 2011 - Saturday, August 6th

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Mead Day 2011 - Saturday, August 6th

Postby yeastmeister » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:06 pm

Ok, we mentioned it at the meeting, and I thought I had some honey, but it appears as though I am wrong.

I have no honey.

If you guys still want to do Mead Day, someone will need to come up with the honey.

9-12 pounds of honey = a dry Mead

13-14 pounds of honey = an off-dry Mead

15-16 pounds of honey = a semi-sweet Mead

17-22 pounds of honey = a sweet to very sweet Mead (do not add all the honey at once, you will get a stuck fermentation!)

It actually takes a very short time to do mead, as no heating is involved. Just add the honey to a carboy, add the water, add the nutrients, mix it up with a wine degasser, pitch the yeast, and put on an airlock. Thats it till its time to rack it to another container.

Let us know if there is any interest, and we will see what we can do about having a Mead Day.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:54 am

I was planning to do a melomel soon, but have not yet called Bernard to get the honey. I won't be able to get it today, so it looks like I'm out. If anyone has some honey on hand, it would be great if they would bring it out.
Shouldn't we also add pectic enzyme? Or does that go in with the fruit later? I thought honey had natural pectins in it too.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum