Freezer-->cooler

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Freezer-->cooler

Postby apg4104 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:42 am

I've been reading up on the life span of such. Also my dad is a refrigeration guy, and he agrees with some of the websites I've read. They claim that converting a freezer into a cooler cuts the life span of the unit down considerably. How long have your coolers lasted and do you agree with this notion?

-LB
apg4104

Postby thebuddrik » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:13 pm

Mine is not too old but I would have to think that this is correct. Just the moisture would be bad.
thebuddrik

Postby aleguy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:30 am

I disagree. I think the compressor runs less often and for shorter periods when you convert a chest freezer into a cooler. If the conversion is done right, I can't see any reason for it to shorten the lifespan of the unit. As far as moisture, well, that's what they make Damp Rid for. In any case, I think the environment it's kept in makes a bigger difference. Anything kept outdoors, or in an unconditioned space is likely to last for a far shorter time.
Having said that, I think the Yeastmeister has the oldest conversion of anyone around here. I think his older chest freezer was converted 6 or 7 years ago and is still going. I don't know how long a chest freezer is supposed to last, but I think ANY appliance will give out eventually.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum