Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

DYS Meeting Minutes - July 5, 2011

Postby jimmiec » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:32 pm

July 5 DYS Meeting Minutes

Attendance
18 people were at the meeting.

Upcoming Events (Subject to Change)
July 23, 2011 – Gulf Brew | Parc International (6 to 9 pm)
August 6, 2011 - AHA Mead Day (?)
August (27), 2011 – Sweat Your Brew-Off Day (DYS Club Brew) | Marcello’s (TBD)
November 5, 2011 – AHA Learn to Homebrew Day
(DYS Club Brew) | Marcello’s (10AM)

Club Business
Gulf Brew - We have more than 130 gallons of DYS beer (list of beers) donated so far for the event and kegs can be dropped of at Marcello's for stroage. Anyone donating beer gets into the event free. Looking for volunteers to setup and serve at the DYS table. Additionally, anyone volunteering through Gulf Brew gets in for free and more info can be found at: Gulf Brew. Triple-oh-six will be brewing an Imperial Star Destroyer Stout: Gulf Brew Edition at Gulf Brew again this year.

Sensory Analysis Class - The kit has arrived and Jimboud will be organizing and setting up the classes (possible 3 classes) soon with the forum thread for details. Some details regarding the sensory analysis kit and summary sheet can be found at:
Sensory Analysis Kit
summary sheet

Presentation
Yeastmeister presented “Enzymes” (Clarity-Ferm, Amino-Quik, Opti-Mash, Ultra-Ferm, and Visco-Buster) power point.

Style of the Month
Pale Ale and Amber Ale – examples provided by Marcello’s and Jimboud (brought some from CO) included:
Fuller - ESB
Stone - Pale Ale
Serra Nevada - APA
Red Hook - ESB
Odell Brewing - 5 Barrel Pale Ale
Breckenridge - Avalanche Ale
Twisted Pine - Hoppy Boy
New Belgian - Fat Tire
? Upslope - Pale Ale
Left Hand - Stranger APA

We had a lot of beers so I have forgot some of them.

Homebrew Served
Rye Smoked Ale, Saison, Rye Pale Ale, Kolsch, and Vanilla Bourbon Porter
malt waster
jimmiec

gulf brew

Postby sdspespo1 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:24 pm

I would like to help with serving. I have missed last two meetings. Sons soccer games are on Tuesday nights. final games next week. Also need help making a copper coil for cooling and want to make a brew pot with valve for easier handling. I know it seems less tech but I have to grow little by little. Steve
sdspespo1

Postby aleguy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:12 pm

We can do that. Not sure who you are exactly, Steve, but that stuff is really easy to do. I recommend you get yourself a weldless fitting, 1/2" hose barb and a stainless ball valve for your kettle from one of the major online home brew etailers. (Northern Brewer, Williams Brewing, Morebeer, etc.) After that you will need some copper fittings. 1/2" Male, 1/2" 90 degree elbow, (Not a street elbow) and a hose clamp for your dip tube.
I'm happy to donate some extra copper pipe and sweat the fittings on for you. Other than that, just need to drill the hole in the kettle.
The chiller is easy, but besides the copper tubing, you will need a male and female hose end fitting and fittings to connect those to your tubing ends. we can sweat them on or you can just use compression fittings, your call. It's a pretty simple matter to wrap the copper around a corny keg, but the refer copper will make a big Slinky. It won't be as rigid as the ones for sale online. If anyone out there knows how to safely harden the copper up, please let me know!
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby jimmiec » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:54 pm

I like the immersion chiller for 10 gallons. It cools my wort down fast enough for me and leaves the sediment and trub in the kettle (since I'm fermenting in carboys).

Also, you should go to brew day and can visually see want you need or want. Also might be able to organize a brew day and help you build a chiller as a side project. Always could use something to do while mashing besides drinking.
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby aleguy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:08 am

Jimmie's right about attending a few brew sessions. I always like to encourage people to go to as many as they can manage with as many different brewers as they can find before they start building their systems.
As far as building on a brew day, Jimmie seems to forget he's got a boatload of building left to do himself, though a chiller won't take that long to put together.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby Jerm » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:11 am

jimmiec wrote:I like the immersion chiller for 10 gallons. It cools my wort down fast enough for me and leaves the sediment and trub in the kettle (since I'm fermenting in carboys).

Best thing about immersion chillers is that you don't risk running your wort through somthing you can't see inside. Drop in the end of the Boil and its completly sterile.

I run my cooling water through a pre-chilling coil thats immersed in a bucket of ice to get my summertime tap water down from the 85º it starts at. You can also pump or gravity flow icewater from a large ice chest. The bigger your temp. differential the better.
Jerm

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum