New Cornelius ball lock kegs

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

New Cornelius ball lock kegs

Postby Imakewort » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:54 am

I new if there was a market some one would fill it, seems they are reconditioning pin lock kegs into ball lock kegs for a healthy market, so do not be surprised to see more of these for sale from other company's soon.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/12101//Cornelius_Keg_-_With_Gaskets_Replaced_Hybrid_Ball_Lock
Mad dog Brewery
I am not afraid to go fast, it's the crashing and burning that sucks
Corporal BN army
Imakewort

Postby aleguy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:50 am

Umm, Yeah. These are exactly the same thing and have been available for a lot longer. they also offer them with replacement lids that have the ball-lock style pressure relief valves. Why anyone would pay extra to get ball lock fittings on a pin-lock keg is beyond me. Why not just use flare fittings that can be switched out in a matter of seconds?
http://www.cornykeg.com/catalog.asp?pro ... prevnext=1
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby jimmiec » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:29 pm

However, the 2 I got at marcellos (pin lock) did not have pressure release valves on the lids, which made it harder to do the final co2 purge. They had some kind auto release on the lids. I guess I'll be replacing these lids. Other than that the kegs work great including popits.

I have switched all to flare fittings. Thankfully everything I had gotten from Williams and Morebeer were with flare fittings.
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby yeastmeister » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:26 pm

Be aware that pin lock kegs are shorter and fatter than ball lock kegs. I understand this is the new standard, but be aware that they may not fit where your ball lock kegs have in the past.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby jimmiec » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:36 pm

Works great for me because allows more head space for my paintball co2 tank, which will push beer for about a month.
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby redtail28 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:49 am

yeastmeister wrote:Be aware that pin lock kegs are shorter and fatter than ball lock kegs. I understand this is the new standard, but be aware that they may not fit where your ball lock kegs have in the past.

Oh great now i need a bigger chest freezer :shock:
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby aleguy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:24 am

Jimmiec, you just need to depress the gas poppet to purge the kegs. New lids cost almost as much as the kegs. I've been doing it that way from the start. Being a cheap SOB My first kegs were pin locks.
Redtail, when you get that bigger chest freezer, I'd be more than happy to take your old one off your hands! :wink:
aleguy

Postby jimmiec » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:57 pm

Yeah I eventually just took my Picnic tap and put flared gas coupler to release the pressure.
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby aleguy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:43 am

I just depress the gas poppet with a key or something. It's really not any more difficult than pulling the little ring on the Pepsi kegs.
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum