sour beers - update

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

sour beers - update

Postby jimmiec » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:38 pm

So I tasted both of the sour beers, Flanders Red (11/20/2010) and Lambic (03/27/2011), that I have fermenting. Both have a very clear appearance and beautiful colors. They had a sour taste with a pH of 3.3 and FG of below 1 (0.991). Forgot to measure the TA before finishing off the samples. However, they do not have too much complexity (mild fruit and spices) and are thin bodied. These beers definitely remind me of wine. I guess I'll let them sit for a little longer and hopefully the complexity increases.

Anyone read Wild Brew and liked it?
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:56 pm

I certainly enjoyed Wild Brews. It's informative, yet interesting. One of my favorite reads, as far a brewing books go.
I'd be very interested in tasting your Flanders side by side with mine. I'd also like to taste Gene's Flanders as well. I'm hoping to be able to make it to Gulf Brew this year to give DYS a hand with serving, but I can't guarantee anything. For better or worse though, my Sour Brown beer will be there.
I have yet to take a FG reading on it, but from my tastings I don't perceive the uncarbonated samples as being thin. If you make it Gulf Brew, give it a taste and let me know what you think. I'm sure carbonation will change the way I perceive the beer, and I haven't had the opportunity to force carb the keg yet.
Anyway, when you get your beer bottled or kegged, let me know. I'd love to have a taste!
In extreme circumstances, the assailants can be stopped by removing the head or destroying the brain. I will repeat that: by removing the head or destroying the brain. - News Anchor, Shaun of the Dead
GuitarLord5000

Postby jimmiec » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:11 am

Unfortunately, I'm going to be missing everything associated with Gulf Brew this year. Of coarse, when I keg it up you need to come over. Maybe we can have a sour party.
malt waster
jimmiec

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:40 pm

:D Sounds fun!
In extreme circumstances, the assailants can be stopped by removing the head or destroying the brain. I will repeat that: by removing the head or destroying the brain. - News Anchor, Shaun of the Dead
GuitarLord5000

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum