Hop trellis

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Hop trellis

Postby triple-oh_six » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:12 am

I showed some pics at the last meeting but they were a little hard to see, here is my new trellis.

Materials

Stain and poly...

I sunk 2 4" PVC pipes 2' into the ground, then cut the bottom of the posts down to 2 2x4's thick and rounded them off. I'm also in the process of adding a brace to each upright, but we've had really strong wind the last few days and it doesn't sway at all.

The twine is strung so I can lower it down but I think the bines will tangle around the top, so I made it to where if I pop out the carriage bolts at the top and bottom the whole top section will hinge down for easy picking.

13' tall, 8' wide

These pics were taken 2 weeks ago, and this is my 5 year old Cascade that was transplanted from our last rent house in Dec., I have the bed on a timer with a soaker hose and today the tallest bine was about 8'.
I have some TMZ rhizomes preordered from nikobrew so I'll be building another one of these on the other side of the yard next month.
triple-oh_six

Postby thebuddrik » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:31 am

Very nice!
thebuddrik

Postby aleguy » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:50 pm

I would still ad those braces. Once the bines fill in the space, they will be like a big sail to catch the wind. Amazing how much they've grown just since you took that photo.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum