More questions Aireation

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

More questions Aireation

Postby gordonbl » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:09 pm

After reading a bit. Papaz or somebody says the first 24 hours the yeast are in an arobic phase and needs ox to reproduce and form healthy cells. I have watched an arobic chanel and can agree to the need to reproduce!(joke) But what is the right amount of airation and the the right times to do it? Paz says 24 hours arobic time and after co production no ox. till the beer is sealed! I have read this in other books about no airation after yeast activity starts.

One book states 24 hours after co. starts to airate the active wort to ensure a complete fermentation! WHAT!

I bought an air pump, micron filter, stone, and have started to airate the wort in addition to using a degas stirrerrerr. Ran the pump about every 30 min. for about 5 min. for first 4 hours.

What do you do?

I know spelin I bearly pased hi schol!
gordonbl

Postby alms66 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:22 am

All I do is pass my cooled wort through a funnel with a screen in it as it goes into the carboy, toss in the yeast, shake the hell out of the carboy, to aerate, and just leave it alone for a week to primary, then transfer to secondary for a minimum of 1 week (I usually prefer 1 month, but sometimes a keg just needs filling :lol: ).

Again, 100+ batches and I've never had any problems with that method. Of course, certain styles of beers need to age much longer than the times I gave above, but I'm pretty sure you already know that, and it works for the vast majority of beer styles.
alms66

Postby yeastmeister » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:32 am

No worries with a pump and sterile filter. You can't over oxygenate with straight air. You can run your pump till the wort starts foaming out of the carboy.

Put your wort in the carboy, pitch the yeast, immediately oxygenate the wort using your micron stone as long as you want.

The yeast go through basically 2 phases. As long as there is oxygen around (an aerobic environment) they will not really eat as much, and will multiply. Thats a good thing, its what you want.

Once all the oxygen is consumed by them (an anaerobic environment), they get to the business of eating.

Oxygenate in the beginning, not after fermentation has started.

Of course, if your into making sour beers on purpose, all the rules change....
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:56 am

There is a trick I have used to re-start fermentations when oxygenating was out of the question. One tiny drop of Extra Virgin Olive Oil will substitute for oxygen and allows the yeast to reproduce in anaerobic environments. I have never noticed any flavor carry-over either.
I know this isn't relevant to your question, but it is a very useful trick in the brewers tool bag.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum