Brew Store

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Brew Store

Postby suds » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:04 am

Hello all,

I am a recent transplant to the New Orleans area, I love the city and all the state has to offer.

I am new to brewing. I've helped some friends out making their beers, but am ready to try it for myself.

However, I'm having trouble finding a homebrew store in New Orelans?

Any one have any suggestions?

thanks
suds

Postby yeastmeister » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:42 am

Unfortunately, I am unaware of any at the moment, there used to be a good one prior to katrina, but it closed afterwards. The closest one that I know of is here in Lafayette. Marcellos carries the basics, and can special order anything you want.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:13 pm

Your best bet is probably to order what you need online, but stick to dry yeast until the weather cools off significantly. I also recommend that you maintain cultures of any yeast that you can't get dry, once you do get them since we have about a three-month window for getting liquid yeast that is still viable by the time it gets here.
Good luck and happy brewing. You might try checking with the NO homebrew club, I don't know if they're still functional.
aleguy

Postby triple-oh_six » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:31 pm

If you're looking for a some good places to order from try http://morebeer.com/ free shipping on a lot of their stuff if your order is $60 or more
http://www.northernbrewer.com/ is also a good online store

good luck,
Prost
triple-oh_six

Postby Smurfe » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:38 am

I am actively working toward opening one in the area. I am in Gonzales and am still trying to determine If I can get people to drive from New Orleans and Baton Rouge down the road to Gonzales to shop locally. I think I can be competitive with the Internet sellers and hope to get this project from the planning stage to the implementation stage. I hope I can get this accomplished within the next 6 months.

I doubt I would pull you guys over from Lafayette area but BR and NO is a pretty good size metro area with no LHBS. Right now finding suitable commercial rental property is the set back. I have enough in the bank to start a fairly comprehensive shop but don't want to pay what the want here for rents. The profit margin will be tight to compete with online seller so I have to find the right place that isn't grossly over priced or energy inefficient to cool and heat.
Smurfe

Postby aleguy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:56 am

I think you can charge a bit more for stuff than the online guys. Our local shop in Lafayette does and they have trouble keeping the stuff on the shelves. As far as location goes, that is the first three requirements of building a successful business.
I'm also informed you need at least two years worth of operating costs in the bank before you open the doors. So, find the right location and figure out how to pay for it. If you start with ingredients only, or with a few low-cost items as well such as 0-rings and other rubber for both types of keg, and maybe some disconnects. One thing I would be sure to have on hand as well as ingredients is buckets, carboys etc.
You can always move into equipment such as kegs, co2 tanks and brew kettles, etc. at a later date. Your highest turnaround will likely be ingredients because most people by a lot more of those than they buy kegs and brew kettles.
aleguy

Postby Smurfe » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:45 am

Aleguy, what you say is pretty well in line with my plan. I want to have a comprehensive list of ingredients and basic supplies. I am not interested in selling brew sculptures, 30 gallon pots and the such to start off with. I do want to be able to offer an extensive selection of grains and extracts, chemicals, kegging and brewing repair parts, winemaking supplies and a decent selection of kits and go from there. We are also talking about looking into selling import beers but I doubt we will go that way to start.

I have read around here that a few go to DeFalco's in Houston for supplies. I do to and my plan is based on a shop similar to theirs. Not as extensive with the frills like oak barrels, grape crushers and presses, etc. but I would want to be able to offer any brewer just about any grain or extract, hop and yeast they will need to brew a batch of basically any recognized style beer or make a batch of wine from local ingredients or a kit. I would like to be able to make up pre-packaged kits as well in extract and all grain.
Smurfe

Postby aleguy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:44 pm

Best of luck to you. Let us know how you're doing from time to time.
aleguy

Postby triple-oh_six » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:05 pm

I try to get to N.O. 3-4 times a year, I'd love to stop and check out your shop.
Let us know when you get up and running.
Good Luck
Prost
triple-oh_six

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum