Brewing for competition

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Brewing for competition

Postby aleguy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:08 pm

Some brewers in the club are of a competitive nature. This is fine. anyone who desires to brew for competition is encouraged to do so. However, your best bet for consistently winning is to follow a training regimen that would make
Rocky Balboa look like a wimp. Start by learning your ingredients and what flavors the various malts and hops add to your beer. The best way to do this is by using a clean yeast strain such as 001, 1056 or SF 05. Only after learning what can be done using those ingredients should you start playing with the infinite variety of flavors that yeast character can contribute.
Once you have a good handle on the basics of ingredient selection and process control, you can start collecting all those nice ribbons and medals that will clutter up your bottom desk drawer.
Happy brewing! :) :) :)
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby jimmiec » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:09 pm

For me, I think it is not all about competiveness but representing the club and comradery at the competitions. I'm sure others do it for competition and feed back. I'm really in it for brewing beer that I like since I'm the one that has to drink a majority of it. I'm not sure if it would be much fun to pay for shipping to a comp and not go. Also, I'm not sure I'll have something worth entering a competition this year but we will see. I need to brew a lot more and get a counter pressure bottle filler.
jimmiec

Competiton?

Postby gordonbl » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:15 pm

I could enter a sour German dark brewed with SF 05. Bawahhha.

Might give you a call Tuesday!
gordonbl

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum