brewing programs

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

brewing programs

Postby Imakewort » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:15 pm

I just went to the dark side and bought a mac book pro and I am looking for a brewing program that will work on it any ideas
Mad dog Brewery
I am not afraid to go fast, it's the crashing and burning that sucks
Corporal BN army
Imakewort

Postby yeastmeister » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:23 pm

I've heard great things about beer tools pro. Of course, you could always still run windows on your macintosh using something like sun virtualbox. Or even dual boot it into windows using bootcamp.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby jimmiec » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:57 pm

2nd running a virtual machine and installing Linux (supposedly beersmith will run under wine) or windows. I dislike Apple products now after owning a iPhone and iPad. They are great ideas but very restrictive unless you jailbreak them. I wonder why it has taken the software developer of Beersmith so long in building it for a Mac. Its been over three years now.
jimmiec

Postby Imakewort » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:09 pm

i think because apple sucks, Thinking real seriously of taking this pos back, joined the I hate mac forum lol. This program does not hold a candle to the windows 7 program
Mad dog Brewery
Corporal BN army
Imakewort

Postby alms66 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:12 pm

I run beersmith under wine on Ubuntu. Works great.

But IIRC, there are only 3 real competitors in this arena:
Beersmith
Pro Mash
Beer Tools
alms66

Postby aleguy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:19 pm

Umm, all Macs have been able to run windows programs for about 10 years now. Until recently Macs also ran on Motorola chips instead of Intel chips so they were a lot more powerful (and a lot faster) than any PC. Now however, there should be zero compatibility problems between software formats.
If you can't figure out how to use a Mac, then ask any two-year-old. It's all based on intuitive logic.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby Imakewort » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:26 pm

well after 2 days I am starting to get a handle on a new operating system, still think windows works better in a lot of ways. I find a lot of the programs are a lot more intuitive with windows.
I also downloaded a program to help run windows programs on this machine, so can run beersmith, yaaa. now I do not have to manually transfer my recipes to another program. I am also looking at beer tools pro might bite the bullet and buy it.
Mad dog Brewery
Corporal BN army
Imakewort

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum