Barrel links

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Barrel links

Postby aleguy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:12 am

OK I'm tired of talking about getting some barrels so I decided to start collecting links here.

5-gallon to 53-gallon sizes:
http://thebarrelmill.com/index.php

http://thebarrelsource.com/

Used bourbon barrels:
http://www.kentuckybarrels.com/

Used wine barrels. (Cost includes shipping.):
http://www.usedwinebarrels.com/fullbarrels.htm

1-liter to 5-gallon barrels:
http://1000oaksbarrel.com/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=27
Last edited by aleguy on Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby aleguy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:44 am

This is getting frustrating. I'm at the point where I'm seriously considering making my own barrels. Anyone who might be removing a mature Oak, Pecan, Cherry, or Persimmon tree, please let me know. Anything else too except Pine, or other resinous softwoods, though Juniper might make an interesting beer barrel.
aleguy

Postby Mob_Barley » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:24 pm

Find out who in the club is going out of state for the holidays. Find a winery near where they will be staying and inquire if they have any used barrels for sale. If so, see if the club member would mind picking it up for you/us and save a lot of money on shipping in the process. I know Texas has hundreds of wineries all over the state...I'm just saying...
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby aleguy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:17 pm

I appreciate the tip. But I have already thought of that. the truth is, I really want 10-gallon barrels, and making them myself is the best way to get them. Not to mention all the other possibilities that opens up. Paolo Santo barrels anyone?
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:29 am

Barrels are always fun. If your talking about a single beer just for yourself, you may consider something in the 3 to 5 gallon range. Part of the issue with barrels is the angels share. If you start with 5 gallons of beer, you can put it in a 3 gallon barrel, and save the rest in something that it won't evaporate from (say glass or stainless), then use the reserve to top off the barrel periodically. Presuming that you are talking about aging for more than a year. Barrels should always be topped off, it keeps them from drying out, and inhibits bacterial growth. Little barrels are easy to store and move. They also have higher surface to liquid area, so the extraction of the flavors should take shorter.

If your talking about a group brew, then you should probably be looking for something in the 31.5 gallon range (Typical wine barrel size). That way multiple people can put in 5 to 10 gallons and everyone gets something out of it. Problem with these is that you really need to make a stand for it, then find someplace to store it, then find someway to move it. A full wine barrel is going to weight somewhere around 330 lbs.

Beware of Sherry casks, those are typically 600 Liter (158 gallons according to wikipedia), I wouldn't want to even try and move that.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:12 am

I wasn't planning on moving full barrels around. And I was planning to make barrel stands for them. I'm still up for splitting a wine barrel with some people if they want. "re-usable" wine barrels are cheapest on ebay. (They weigh more than 100 pounds empty by the way.) But once I got to thinking about it I realized the endless potential for making my own. BTW, except for sours, I doubt I would keep beer in the barrel for more than a month or so at a time, so the angels' share shouldn't really be an issue, but I'm really looking forward to a pecan-aged brown, etc.
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:07 am

I think you will find it needs more than a month or so to get any flavor in a barrel. The surface area in chips and cubes is much greater than in a barrel, so it takes much longer to extract the flavors....
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:17 am

Only one way to find out. ;-)
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum