Vanilla?

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Vanilla?

Postby thebuddrik » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:13 pm

I'm about to add some to my to my vanilla bourbon porter but do I need oak to keep the flavor and smell longer? Also, do I need to take the vanilla out, will it hurt to leave it in?
thebuddrik

Postby yeastmeister » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:34 pm

Both vanilla and oak are variable depending on the freshness/source. So drop it in, and taste if frequently. Remove it when your happy.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Re: Vanilla?

Postby triple-oh_six » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:19 am

budrockdiesel wrote:I'm about to add some to my to my vanilla bourbon porter but do I need oak to keep the flavor and smell longer? Also, do I need to take the vanilla out, will it hurt to leave it in?

I don't take out the vanilla, I leave it behind with the trub when I rack into the keg.
triple-oh_six

Postby aleguy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:06 am

The oak is not entirely necessary, it does add some vanilla notes of its own if you use heavy toast. Leave the beans in until you rack into kegs. You will never get all those tiny seeds out in any case, so they will continue to add vanilla flavor for a couple of months if you can manage to keep any of it around that long. Mine usually disappears as soon as my family finds out i have some ready to drink. Too bad I'm lousy at keeping it a secret. :wink:
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum