2010 Abita Home Brewer Contest

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Postby triple-oh_six » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:05 pm

Mob_Barley wrote:Here's my 2 cents. I think the credibility, the bragging rights, and plain fun involved in entering and winning a homebrew contest from a major brewery far outweighs any loss of future income or intellectual rights you might incur as a result. Homebrew recipes are a dime a dozen. If you were good enough of a brewer to come up with a recipe that can win a major contest like that, then you should have no problem coming up with several more.

Come on guys, it's not like giving away your first born male child...it's a beer recipe. A few tweaks here or there and the recipe is different enough that you can call it your own again and still win contests or brew it at your "future" brewery.

If you think you have a really great beer recipe, I encourage you to enter it in the contest. The feedback alone is worth the effort. Just in case you don't win, you can take the feedback and make the beer better next time.

I totally agree...

That being said, the only thing that I have available is my Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter. I found out today that the new seasonal is going to be a Vanilla Porter :? oh well...

BTW the Abita Vanilla Porter will be in honor of Tracy Porter's Superbowl winning interception and will be named "Pick-six Porter" ...brilliant!
triple-oh_six

Postby jimmiec » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:21 pm

I'm in it for the free beer, especially the cask conditioned.
jimmiec

Postby Imakewort » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:36 pm

[quote]Mob_Barley wrote:
Here's my 2 cents. I think the credibility, the bragging rights, and plain fun involved in entering and winning a homebrew contest from a major brewery far outweighs any loss of future income or intellectual rights you might incur as a result. Homebrew recipes are a dime a dozen. If you were good enough of a brewer to come up with a recipe that can win a major contest like that, then you should have no problem coming up with several more.

Come on guys, it's not like giving away your first born male child...it's a beer recipe. A few tweaks here or there and the recipe is different enough that you can call it your own again and still win contests or brew it at your "future" brewery.

If you think you have a really great beer recipe, I encourage you to enter it in the contest. The feedback alone is worth the effort. Just in case you don't win, you can take the feedback and make the beer better next time.

I totally agree it would be very cool to win, maybe a club entry would be also very cool
Mad dog Brewery
I am not afraid to go fast, it's the crashing and burning that sucks
Corporal BN army
Imakewort

Postby aleguy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:17 am

I spent the better part of two years of home brewing to develop some of my recipes. If I was pulling a recipe off the internet to enter, fine, but I think those of us who have actually put in the work to get a recipe where we want it, starting from scratch, don't really feel that they are a dime a dozen. It takes a lot of hard work and tweaking to get a recipe to the point where you are happy with it, and to just give that away and try to tweak it again to "call it your own" is ridiculous.
Enter away, if that's what you want to do. I for one value the time I've spent developing my recipes far more than what Abita is offering. Though many, if not most, club members use other peoples' recipes, that is something I almost never do.
Go, enter, enjoy.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby triple-oh_six » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:16 am

jimmiec wrote:I'm in it for the free beer, especially the cask conditioned.

Hey Jimmie, are you going?

Or anybody else for that matter?
triple-oh_six

Postby Imakewort » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:25 am

i plan on going, does anybody have the time and location in Abita . Is it at the brewery or pub?
Mad dog Brewery
Corporal BN army
Imakewort

Postby triple-oh_six » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:30 am

http://shop.abita.com/events/sponsored- ... on-111310/

November 13, 2010 11:30AM

Home Brewer's Competition
Abita Brewing Company Tasting Room
21084 Hwy 36 Abita Springs, LA

Saturday, November 13th, 2010
11:30am-3:30pm

I'm looking for a ride if anyone has room, I can toss in some gas $
triple-oh_six

Postby triple-oh_six » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:32 pm

triple-oh_six wrote:
I'm looking for a ride if anyone has room, I can toss in some gas $

Anybody.............Bueller,.................anybody............

If I don't go to this I will need to put in a half day of work :evil:
triple-oh_six

Postby Imakewort » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:20 pm

i would of but i left for Covington Thursday and staying at mt girl friends house for a few days
Mad dog Brewery
Corporal BN army
Imakewort

Postby Imakewort » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:20 pm

i would of but i left for Covington Thursday and staying at mt girl friends house for a few days
Mad dog Brewery
Corporal BN army
Imakewort

Postby triple-oh_six » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:38 pm

Imakewort wrote:i would of but i left for Covington Thursday and staying at mt girl friends house for a few days

Thanks anyway brotha
triple-oh_six

Postby yeastmeister » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:24 am

I'm planning on going. Same situation as 0006. If anyone wants to carpool, I'm willing to, although I wouldn't mind carpooling in someone else's car that gets better gas mileage than my beast an chipping in for gas.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby jimmiec » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:07 am

Sorry guys, the only way I get to go is if I take the kids to a corn maze over in Pine Grove on Saturday. Unless it rains.
jimmiec

Postby aleguy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:33 am

Me no tengo AHA membership. Hay no tengo dinero. Lo siento cabrones.
aleguy

Postby aleguy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:14 am

:( :( :( have a few for me guys. :cry: :cry: :cry:
aleguy

PreviousNext

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum