Teach a friend to home brew day.

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Teach a friend to home brew day.

Postby aleguy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:41 am

The day is speedily approaching, and there are few minor details to work out.
Is someone bringing a pit? etc. Marcello's seems to have lost their table, last time I was there, if they haven't gotten it back by the 6th, then we need someone to bring a table. What brewing equipment will be used, and who is providing it? I know we have all the ingredients we need to make the all-grain beer and the kit is always donated by Marcello's, but who is donating the use of carboys?
This event is always a lot of fun, but it always goes off better if we don't leave everything to the last minute. It is better to have more than we need than to be missing something at the last minute. If everyone just shows up with beer and a chair then it turns into teach a friend to drink home brew day.
Just sayin'.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby Mob_Barley » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:35 am

I posted a pre-fab press release from the AHA on examiner.com about the upcoming "Learn to Homebrew Day" which is what the AHA is calling it instead of "Teach a friend to homebrew day"...

I didn't have much information to go by, such as what beers we are going to make etc. But here is the article, feel free to pass it along to your friends to get the word out...

http://www.examiner.com/craft-beer-in-l ... omebrewing

Sorry Buddy, I got your "brewer's crack" in the picture...
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby yeastmeister » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:05 am

Yep, straight from their website....
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/events/learn-to-homebrew-day

"Learn to Homebrew Day (formerly known as Teach a Friend to Homebrew Day)"

Guess they are indicating that you can teach people who are not your friends...Odd, I've always found that brewing beer is the best way to make new friends....
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:17 am

That's dandy. And with the new law in place we can actually do some real PR with the mainstream media. However, that does not get us any closer to organizing for the day itself. BBQ pit? table? burners, propane kettles, plates, cups, all the things we always need still need to be coordinated so we have everything we need to make it a good learn to home brew day. (I like the new name better BTW.)
aleguy

Postby jimmiec » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:46 pm

I can bring my smoker again. Nice thing about the smoker is we can cook everything at once and almost forget about it. I have an immersion chiller and 2 burners, propane, and pots (15 gallons) that I can bring if needed.

As far as food. I can bring some portion of boudin or chicken. What ever people would prefer. I'm going to try a recipe for a hop mustard and if it is good bring some of it. What about cooking some of the meats by the way of sous vide in the mash? We probably could not do everything sous vide due to the amount of food. In addition, I don't have a plastic bag sealer. Also, I have been stocking up on plastic cups, plates and such, which I'll bring. For a veg, I planned on bring some kind of salad with maybe beer added.

I'm going to have to leave around 11am but will be coming back around 2pm. Unfortunately, my wife scheduled my son's birthday party at the Fun Zone on that Saturday. I probably should help her some. I would have like to brewed a beer that day too.
jimmiec

Postby triple-oh_six » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:13 pm

I'm planning on bringing my whole setup, I'm just hoping that I can get my dad or someone to drive my truck home, it shouldn't be a problem though.
I'd like to do a 10 gal. batch of my own since I really don't have much time to brew.
If we need my equipment to do the main brew then I'm fine with that, let me know.
triple-oh_six

Postby lhardin02 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:53 am

My system is small and easy to carry around. If you guys want I can bring my stand as well. Just let me know.
lhardin02

Postby yeastmeister » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:13 am

Ok guys, to reiterate, the more the merrier. We have at least 2 RIMS systems scheduled to attend, but it would be nice for folks to see other types of systems besides automated.

Anyone is welcome.

We are still in need of a few things....

Portable carbon filter for water (0006?), a couple of carboys to ferment beer at Marcello's with. Anything else you guys can think of..

Marcello's is once again donating a kit, We have club grain and hops to use. So if you want to bring your system to brew on, we will supply the ingredients and use the brews for future club functions.

Someone asked me to bring them some yeast to the event, I know I asked them to email me to remind me, but so far, I have no emails....or other messages....Time is running short whomever you are...let me know.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby lhardin02 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:27 am

I have a Carbon Filter I will be bringing. Everyone is welcome to use it.

I will also be bring some Boudin, Cracklins, and Sausage.

I think Jimmie is bring Chicken, and Ale guy is bring some Chicken Sausage. So we should be good on food. Unless someone wants so bring something else.
lhardin02

Postby triple-oh_six » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:31 am

yeastmeister wrote:
Portable carbon filter for water (0006?)

Mine is attached to my stand so yes I will have it.

yeastmeister wrote:Someone asked me to bring them some yeast to the event, I know I asked them to email me to remind me, but so far, I have no emails....or other messages....Time is running short whomever you are...let me know.

I just pm'ed you, I need koelsh yeast.
triple-oh_six

Postby Charlie » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:40 pm

I wish I was gonna there with you guys. Then I could sit around, drink, yack, and flirt with the ladies. I'd even bring my BBQ pit if you wanted me to! As it is I've got to move the crud off the patio and the carport , set up my rig, and weigh grain and hops, because I'm the fool hosting LTBD here!

Oh well. I survived TAFTBD last year, so the odds are with me.

Charlie (is making a Pliny clone for LTBD)
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Postby jimmiec » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:00 pm

I think it would be fun to have a LA clubs gathering. I'm willing to drive and stay in a hotel, especially if you bring a keg of pliney clone. Camping would be better but I think the cold my have set in for the year. We should organize a gather and to keep it a tradition and rotate locations. However, just another week till the Abita homebrew comp, which aha members can go too with out entering the comp.
jimmiec

Postby aleguy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:24 am

I think we're good as long as someone remembers to bring some star san. Don't forget to bring a folding chair or two.
aleguy

Postby triple-oh_six » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:16 pm

Charlie wrote:I wish I was gonna there with you guys. Then I could sit around, drink, yack, and flirt with the ladies. I'd even bring my BBQ pit if you wanted me to! As it is I've got to move the crud off the patio and the carport , set up my rig, and weigh grain and hops, because I'm the fool hosting LTBD here!

Oh well. I survived TAFTBD last year, so the odds are with me.

Charlie (is making a Pliny clone for LTBD)

Good luck with your brew brotha.
As for me, I'm lugging my 3,000 lb brewstand 25 miles into town to brew on, I'm tired already :cry:
But we must brew on!
triple-oh_six

Postby Charlie » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:49 pm

jimmiec wrote:I think it would be fun to have a LA clubs gathering. I'm willing to drive and stay in a hotel, especially if you bring a keg of pliney clone. Camping would be better but I think the cold my have set in for the year. We should organize a gather and to keep it a tradition and rotate locations. However, just another week till the Abita homebrew comp, which aha members can go too with out entering the comp.

BB and I talked some about having an annual LA state event/comp. He was thinking to have it in a central location, like Alexandria, so nobody had to drive too far. That sounds good to me, but I don't know a dang thing about Alexandria (although I've been to Que'in On The Red twice). Are there any homebrewers at all in Alexandria?

I don't think I'm going to make the Abita comp. My ex dumped the 16 year old on me four weeks ago, and I'm in full time dad mode. That's OK, because I've been missing the little rat. Last night I taught him to shave! Serious father/son bonding moment.

Charlie
Charlie

Next

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum