Looking for...

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Looking for...

Postby percmd » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:51 am

anyone have any good information or know a good website with instructions for building a still? i have recently taken an interest in the distillation process and want to try it out. for some reason sugar cane grinding season has made me want to drink some rum, all this talk about molasses around the house! getting ready to make three batches of wheat beer, maybe one with honey, not sure yet.
percmd

Postby yeastmeister » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:17 pm

Sorry to tell you that the home distillation of drinking alcohol is illegal in the United States. Google search will find a bunch of stuff for countries where its legal. New Zealand, Austria, and Italy for instance.

Mandatory disclaimer.

The Dead Yeast Society does not consider distillers to be specifically moonshine stills or alcohol stills. Distillation units can actually be used to distill water, essential oils, vinegars, and more. Alcohol distillation requires licensing in many countries (including the USA), The Dead Yeast Society discourages such use without approval by whatever regulating authority you answer to, and is not liable for any illegal use of the knowledge or information gained here.
Last edited by yeastmeister on Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby Mob_Barley » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:53 pm

Here is the best quality complete unit that I have found.

http://www.brewhaus.com/Essential-Extra ... 15C96.aspx

I still plan on getting one of these some day...
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby Imakewort » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:30 pm

I back what Yeastmaster says, alcohol distilling without the proper permits is very illegal, If you get the proper permits look here the best stills you can buy in the USA http://www.milehidistilling.com/ for a great distilling forum look here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/index.ph ... 408183d661

good luck do your research

I also repeat the Deadyeast Society does not support distilling without the proper permits
Mad dog Brewery
I am not afraid to go fast, it's the crashing and burning that sucks
Corporal BN army
Imakewort

Postby Mob_Barley » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:05 am

You are right, that is a great site. Are these legal? If so, I want one:

Last edited by Mob_Barley on Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby aleguy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:26 am

Those are all legal. I used to have one of each. I got one from Sears a long time ago.
Can't remember where I picked the other one up. I would say, the distillers are expensive, they don't last very long and they are only good for water. Actually that pretty much goes for the other as well. At least in my experience.
As far as alcohol distillation goes, I think a pot still is probably the best sort to use for rendering country wines into brandies and so forth. For rum, whiskey vodka, etc. you would want the other kind. I would caution that distilling alcohol in the USA without appropriate permits is a federal offense. Though I think they should allow exemptions for farmers with pot stills. It works well in France, and I think it would be cool if farmers here could supplement their income in the time-honored fashion.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby jimmiec » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:01 am

But it is legal to distill for non-consumption such as fuel?
jimmiec

Postby yeastmeister » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:08 am

jimmiec wrote:But it is legal to distill for non-consumption such as fuel?

Yes, but it requires federal and state permits prior to production.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum