Starter gravity

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Starter gravity

Postby thebuddrik » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:13 am

What is the downside of making a staarter with a SG of 1.060?
Should I add water and boil it more to bring it down before pitching?
thebuddrik

Postby Mob_Barley » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:58 am

It all has to do with the osmotic pressure inside a high gravity starter. It is more difficult for the yeast to obtain the needed nutrients for healthy growth and reproduction in a solution with a lot of dissolved solids (thus the high gravity). You end up with a lot of stressed-out yeast in the end.

If you use a starter with a 1.040 gravity, nutrients move much more easily across the cell membrane and are available for growth and reproduction. You will get a higher growth rate of more healthy cells.

Although 1.060 may not be too high to make that much of a difference, it's best not to take a chance unless you can do yeast counts to verify the results. I'd just add a little sterile water at the same temp as the starter before the lag phase ends if possible, if not, then I wouldn't worry too much about it but try to keep the gravity in the 1.030-1.040 range next time. RDWHAHB
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby aleguy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:39 pm

I don't know, 1.060 seems Ok to me. I just pitch dry yeast into 1.080 wort and get activity in 15-20 minutes (usually.) It seems to me that a starter is just to get the cell count up for a good start, so as long as the yeast are healthy, you should be fine. It seems logical, but probably isn't, that you should use a starter the same gravity as you finished wort so as not to shock them when you pitch, creating a further lag time.
Pitching onto a yeast cake from a previous batch can yield incredibly fast and vigorous startups and fermentation. Keep your yeast healthy, use servomyces and you're golden as far as I can tell.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby EnglishBrew » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:32 pm

1/2 cup of light DME in 2 cups water never failed me. I don't know what SG that is, but I usually get starter activity within a day, and that starter concentration works every time up to 1.1 SG brews.
EnglishBrew

Postby Imakewort » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:47 pm

here is the procedure recommended by white labs to make yeast starters, I add a pinch of yeast nutrient, and use filtered water to remove chlorine. see link this always works for me
http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_FAQ.html
Mad dog Brewery
I am not afraid to go fast, it's the crashing and burning that sucks
Corporal BN army
Imakewort

Postby yeastmeister » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:35 am

Imakewort wrote:here is the procedure recommended by white labs to make yeast starters, I add a pinch of yeast nutrient, and use filtered water to remove chlorine. see link this always works for me
http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_FAQ.html

Back in the states?
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby Imakewort » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:24 am

just got home Saturday night now looking for some good beer, any body brewing?
Mad dog Brewery
I am not afraid to go fast, it's the crashing and burning that sucks
Corporal BN army
Imakewort

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum