Gulf Brew 2010 - Final Report

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Gulf Brew 2010 - Final Report

Postby yeastmeister » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:16 am

Gulf Brew 2010 was a huge success. Gerd Wuestemann, executive director of the ACA, came by and said that the brewing demonstration was "the coolest thing they ever had at Gulf Brew". Gerd also came by several times at the serving booth to compliment us. They also thanked us for showing up at noon because noone had remembered the serving pitchers till we asked for them. It gave them the 2 extra hours they needed to find where they were stored, and distribute them.

We had a great time talking to all the public, as well as getting to know our fellow homebrewers in the state better. MKOB from Mandeville was stationed next to us with 45 gallons of their own brew. Expect a few extra homebrewers to come out of this event.

The end was a little hectic because they decided the urgent need to have the park cleared out by 11:00 p.m. (including the huge tent, ice machines, generators, and everything that wasn't bolted down) due to the tropical storm. Guess noone told them it had fallen apart over the gulf, but that didn't stop the local law enforcement from shoving us out before we could finish cleaning all the brewing equipment. But in the end, beer was made, and a good time was had.

Thanks to all who stayed around till the end to help us clean and pack!

Things I came home with extra:
A purple milk crate like thing with empty beer bottles included.

Things I am missing:
a short sturdy picnic tap (built to take 40 psi without coming apart). Last seen behind the booth.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby Mob_Barley » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:30 am

Sorry I couldn't make it to the event. I had a last minute funeral to attend in Alexandria. Congrats on another successful Gulf Brew.
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby aleguy » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:43 am

We were all wondering what happened to you Mob. Unfortunately Jimmiec somehow didn't get the word about where the DUI checkpoint was last night and nearly drove into it. I hope no one else from the DYS went that way last night. I think I may have been the only member to leave sober.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby lhardin02 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:03 pm

Hey Gene I did see it in the back bouncing around on a couple of kegs, but sorry to say I did not see were it ended up.

Does anybody know what happen to my Co2 bottle? The ends were cut off on my hoses and one of my gauges was bent and the needle broken.
lhardin02

Postby eMan » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:47 pm

Last time I saw the picnic tap, it was underneath some bags of ice. If you are behind the beer coffin, it was the farthest left cardboard trashcan. That's the last I saw it. It got kind of moved around when looking for kegs. It may have wound up in that holdable chair possibly. It was right next to it.
eMan

Postby zeeboz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:06 pm

Anyone take pictures?
Incriminating photos would work also :lol: :wink:
Unfortunately I'm on the other side of the world ... (literally)
Thanks, Zeeboz
zeeboz

Postby triple-oh_six » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:35 pm

Thanks to everyone that helped me brew, especially Budrockdiesel who kept things going when I was distracted by the patrons. Thanks to Dave and Jimmie for the use of the kettles, they worked great and looked awesome, the hopblocker worked perfectly as well.
And thanks to all of you that helped clean up and pack, it got a little crazy and I can't thank ya'll enough.
We had a couple of problems with the brew, but nothing the public, or most of you know about anyway. I think everything went great and I'd like to do it even better next year.

@ lhardin02, sorry to hear about your co2 bottle, it was fine the lasst time I saw it, I did cut the very ends of your lines to get my pin lock fittings off.

I should be at the next meeting, so if ya'll could get my stuff to me there that would be great.
Dave - My dry erase board, and my fittings
Jimmie - My fittings

I haven't found anything that I came home with that wasn't mine, except for Buddy's keg that has Barleywine in it.

And is their any reason that my Blueberry wheat and Amber didn't get poured? I was told that everything floated but I came home with 2 full kegs, just wondering.

I would also like to see some pics, I was too busy to even take out my camera.

Awesome job everybody! See ya'll next week.
triple-oh_six

Postby eMan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:46 pm

@triple-oh_six

We served some of the Amber and the blueberry. They just came up last. We had some problems with the co2 running out on pinlock and only served what we could from the stored pressure. We eventually got a fitting, but by that time everyone was just plastered. We kind of shut it down to start cleanup.
eMan

Postby triple-oh_six » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:14 pm

I figured it was something like that, no worries, more beer for me :P
triple-oh_six

Postby lhardin02 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:52 pm

triple-oh-six - no worries about cutting the ends. I'm glad you were able to use it. It's always nice to be able to drink a cold one while you brew, and all I had to do was slide mine back on. As far as the gauge, I guess I got really lucky. I pulled it apart and bent it back to shape and pushed the needle back on. It appears to be working fine, but I'm not sure if I have it zeroed out. I tried to make sure that I released all the gas from the gauge and set it on zero, but I'm not sure if thats all it takes.
lhardin02

Postby jimmiec » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:36 am

From the event, I got extra:
Gene's empty keg from Eman which he didn't use
Redtail's almost empty keg of cider
0006's fitting - removed and cleaned

I have a couple photos that I think are public at:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... dfbbb3d15c
jimmiec

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum