Attaching tubing to RIMS

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Attaching tubing to RIMS

Postby Mob_Barley » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:07 am

I'm just about ready to start plumbing the stainless tubing for my brew stand. I've been waiting on a couple of stainless heads for my March Pumps. I haven't received them yet, but here is a link where you can get them in case any one is interested:

http://shop.ebay.com/usapumps/m.html?_n ... ksid=p4340

The Chugger pump is offered with a stainless head for $139 and with a poly sulfone head for $99. The stainless head alone sells for $49. I am getting two stainless heads since I already have the March pumps. The ones I'm using have center outlets and I thought I'd rather have the typical side outlet stainless head. Anyway...

I was wondering how I should go about attaching the stainless tubing to my stand. My plumbing will be similar to that on a Sabco Brew Magic:

I tried to contact them to see how they do theirs but they never got back to me.

One way I've seen is to just use stainless hose clamps and clamp it to the stand. Another is to use one hole pipe straps like this:

I'd like to make it look nice with some type of stand off connector to keep it away from the stand somewhat, but can't find what I need. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby yeastmeister » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:34 am

Wait for Buddy to reply....he is very busy with his house right now, but I know he ran stainless tubing for a living. I'm sure he knows the right connectors, and where to pick them up.

The actual head is here....

http://cgi.ebay.com/STAINLESS-STEEL-REPLACEMENT-HEAD-MARCH-809-PL-/320559541364?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa2d66c74#ht_500wt_893

I'd be extremely interested in seeing one when you get it. I'd like to see the build quality, especially the internals.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby Mob_Barley » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:14 am

They are already installed. The only issue I had was that the threads were pretty rough. Here is a pic:

"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby yeastmeister » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:45 am

Nice! Guess now I need some.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:51 pm

Yeah, buddy can tell you what fittings you need. As far as putting the pipes away from the stand, why not just cut a small section of tubing to the length you want, and run the bolt through it. Very easy. Custom look. You might need to use two of those clamps at each spot though so the tubing doesn't just fall out.
I'm sure you have this figured out already, but hard-piping seems like it would make cleaning out your kettles very difficult. I look forward to seeing the finished system in operation.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum