A natural gas burner for brewing.

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Postby Mob_Barley » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:01 am

Maybe off topic, but...Have the guy at National Welding Supply drain all of the remaining CO2 from the tank, then weigh it empty. Write the empty weight on the tank. The next time he refills your tank, he can tell you how much is left in the tank if any, and only charge you for for the amount he adds to your tank. This is mainly for 20# tanks where it may be difficult to tell how much is left, or when you know you have CO2 left but want to top it off.

I guess this would work for propane tanks as well. As long as you can find someone that will charge you by the pound instead of a flat rate.
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby aleguy » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:58 am

Doucet hardware on Johnston does that. They only charge for the propane they actually put in the tank. Problem is, they charge $20 to fill a tank, instead of the $12 we pay at National. Though Doucet uses Amerigas, which is employee-owned and probably worth supporting even if it costs a little more.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby Charlie » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:14 pm

I brewed a 10 gal Torpedo clone Monday using the natural gas burner, and it ran like a scalded dog. In fact I had to throttle it way back to keep the boil under control. At the best boil level it barely whispered.

Two things about hot water heater type NG burners:

1. They don't like a lot of air. I had to improvise a shutter from aluminum foil and put it below the burner to keep it from getting too much air and blowing out.

2. They don't like drafts. It got breezy a couple of times and the burner complained, but never went out.

I'm indecently pleased with it!

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Postby aleguy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:24 am

a decent pilot burner should help with the blowing out part, also allows you to add automated temperature control if you want.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Previous

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum