Site Admin

Postby redtail28 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:45 am

+1 Wow. How many cable channles
Do get with that thing ?
If it works go with it.
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:21 am

It took me a few minutes to realize what you were trying to accomplish with that contraption, but I see what it does now. Damn good job! In fact, I think I'll have to make one very similar to it. I had almost given up on making an easily fabricated adjustable mash recirc arm.
Does the worm clamp have enough oomph to hold the adjustable return system in place while water is flowing through it? I'm guessing it's just crimping the copper tee a bit to make contact with the tubing underneath it and hold it in place. Is this correct? EDIT - Never mind. I see what you did with that tee in one of your photos. Very good idea!
Parts list, please? I've never messed with copper tube, so be as specific as you want to be.

Parts List looks to be:
11 tees
4 caps
5 90s
4 45s
1 worm clamp

Not including solder and torch.

What size tubing is that?
GuitarLord5000

Postby yeastmeister » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:18 pm

Just one word of warning. Every once in a while, I notice that I can get zero flow. It turns out to be grain stuck in my return line. No idea how it gets past my false bottom, and it only happens once every 20 batches or so. But with all the 90 degree angles you have, don't be surprised if it happens a little more often. It occurs on startup, not once its flowing good, so if you get it flowing, it should stay flowing.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby triple-oh_six » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:19 pm

I didn't have time to test it with the new bracket but I'm sure that the clamp is plenty strong enough to keep it in place. The 8 outlets were probably overkill though, depending on the flowrate I usually could only get liquid to come out of 4 at a time. 4 is better than one though and it looks pretty friggin cool.
Anyway, I'm almost positive the tubing is 1/2". And the t that the hose clamp is on is just split along the side, I used a dremmel with a cut-off wheel. I had planned to use a cross then 2 t's to make the H but this worked out better.
Sweating copper is not hard, just make sure you clean it and use flux, then you heat the metal up, touch the solder to it and it seeps right into the seam, check this out to get an idea http://www.wortomatic.com/articles/Mylo ... -O-Chiller
and that looks like everything you listed as far as parts go
triple-oh_six

Postby thebuddrik » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:55 am

Digging it!
thebuddrik

Postby aleguy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:52 am

Nice idea. It sure beats the old bar clamps, but I think I'll stick with my design. One return hole is plenty if there's enough liquid above the grain bed, there won't be any channeling. :wink:
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum