phpBB and database. Lookout!

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

phpBB and database. Lookout!

Postby Charlie » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:46 pm

Yesterday MMMM had a major crash. Our phpBB database did not just become corrupt, it got wiped out completely. There was nothing in the database. The whole freaking board was gone!

The good news is that I had backups. The bad news is that Network Solutions (our ISP) had managed to lose our daily database backups, and the most recent local backup I had was 13 days old. So we lost 13+ days of posts, and that ticks me off because there was some interesting stuff going on.

Word to the wise and all that stuff: Recommend you keep local backups and don't rely exclusively on your ISP's automated backups.

I now know more than I ever wanted to know about databases, phpBB and backups. In other words, it was "That" kind of day.....

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Postby triple-oh_six » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:14 pm

Thanks for the heads up brotha, man, that really sucks for ya'll.

I trust that the yeastmeister has us taken care of, right? :wink:
triple-oh_six

Postby yeastmeister » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:42 am

Sort of. I backup the general board whenever I make a change. The content however is a database which I backup using phpbb's Backup Database function periodically, but I suppose I need to back it up more frequently. Our ISP also claims:

"Our systems automatically backup your database every 24 hours. This backup is a safe guard in case there is a hardware failure. The backup is of the entire database server so it is unable to restore an individual database."

Ours uses a couple of huge database servers for most websites they host. If we lose our data, 10,000's of others do as well. Sort of gives them incentive to backup their stuff.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum