Height of drain hole in Converted Keg

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Height of drain hole in Converted Keg

Postby Mob_Barley » Thu May 20, 2010 1:46 pm

Is there a specific height for the hole (and valve) on a converted keg? Or does it depend on the type of false bottom you will be using?
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby aleguy » Fri May 21, 2010 9:20 am

Unless you have a stainless tube welded into the bottom like the Yeastmeister has, you should drill the hole high enough to ensure the nut on the weldless fitting sits flush at the bottom. This will (hopefully) avoid any leakage around the gasket. you can easily make your dip tube any length you desire. It is basically a siphon so you can get every last bit of wort in the MLT or BK if you want, though there are some trade-offs. (hops/cold break in the BK, sufficient flow in the HLT/MLT, etc.)
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby thebuddrik » Fri May 21, 2010 9:52 am

aleguy wrote:you can easily make your dip tube any length you desire.

Not necessarily. If you are going with the typical 1/2" stainless dip tube you have to consider the bend radius. On 1/2 I think it is around 1 1/2". My keggles have collars welded 1 1/2" from the seam on the keg. All kegs are a little different so you will have to figure yours out.
I started out trying to get my diptube as close to the bottom as I could but that was problematic. I had problems loosing prime with the pump. I cut another 1/2" off and that helped alot.
Just my $.02.
thebuddrik

Postby aleguy » Fri May 21, 2010 2:09 pm

Yeah. I made my dip tubes from copper pipe with a standard elbow for the bend. If you have the pre-bent stainless dip tubes I guess you have to put the hole where the equipment supplier makes you put it.
aleguy

Postby Mob_Barley » Fri May 21, 2010 2:15 pm

This is the false bottom I have. The dip tube is 3" from the top of the screen. It has a flared end meant to butt up to the top of the screen. I had to drill my hole 3" from the seam.

Product Description
The 11" Sanke Stainless Steel False Bottom is made specifically to fit the contours of a commercial Sanke keg. It is made from 18 gauge stainless steel, and Includes a flared dip tube to eliminate dislodging when stirring the mash
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby thebuddrik » Fri May 21, 2010 2:36 pm

Hmmm... Is that a 3/8 diptube?
thebuddrik

Postby aleguy » Sat May 22, 2010 8:51 pm

You will wish you had a Sabco false bottom soon enough. Best of luck and best wishes.
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum