My first brew day postponed till next weekend

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:56 pm

I'd say get the automation going first. That way you have a few experienced guys there with you to help work out the kinks that are sure to pop up.
GuitarLord5000

Postby yeastmeister » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:33 am

Either way is fine. I'll be there with my tools to make the automation work, although I sort of agree with the "Do it manually, so that you can see how much automation helps" idea. Then again, why go through the hassle when you already know you are going automated.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:07 am

+1 :wink:
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby Mob_Barley » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:28 pm

Yep, there is something to be said about learning to count before you learn to use a calculator...
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby yeastmeister » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:37 pm

Well, after you see it, you will realize that manual = abacus, auto = calculator. Seriously, no worries. We make it a point to show up if we can at the first brewday of anyone. Ask several of our members. Only question is, do you have any dogs that will bite us? (sorry Firstbeer).
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby david79thomas » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:34 am

FROM ALEGUY:
I haven't heard how you're doing with your first batch since we left last Sunday. I hope the fermentation has been going well with no problems. You should be getting ready to transfer it next weekend if everything has been going well, so you might want to think about getting fittings for your kegs.

UPDATE:
I had the relief valves open from Sunday till Wednesday then closed them. I've been releasing pressure from the relief valves 2-3 times a day from Thursday morning till now. I'm not sure when I need to stop releasing pressure. It's fermenting like crazy though. I have dark brown beer on the bottom of my freezer from the kegs blowing off while the valves were open. And everytime I release the valves it hisses a good bit.
So what kind of stuff do I need to transfer? Do I need to oxidize? And I thought it ferments for 3 weeks? I also need to get set up for carbonating and serving. So I'll need gas lines, hardware and CO2 tank and whatever else I need. I have 2 tap handles and 2 faucets. I have 8 kegs total, 5 of those are being used in fermenting. So I'll need to chain 4 of them together I believe. I have the freezer as the fermenting chamber now, but when done will be the kegerator, so I'll need to put a collar on it. I have a lot to get, a lot to work on and if anyone can offer assistance in suggestions on where to get what I need and how to put it together, that would be awesome! I'm so glad I'm in this club and couldn't do it without yall! Thanks a million and I hope it turns out well. But if not, oh well I'll make sure the next time goes more smoothly being better prepared and consistent.
david79thomas

Postby aleguy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:08 pm

It sounds like it is fermenting as it should. Don't try to chain kegs together, please. Just drink from one until it's empty, then switch to another. For a collar, you will need 2x10s I believe, though you could theoretically go with any 2x4 or larger. Yeasty can tell you what you need to seal the collar down. I think it's just basic silicone caulk. You will need, a racking cane and tube to transfer. Autosiphons are nice if you have one.
Yes you will need a CO2 tank, (20 lb is optimal, though 10 lb will do.) gas in fittings and beer out fittings a pressure regulator and lots of tubing. Also you will either need a picnic faucet or shanks of the appropriate length (Probably 4") to mount your faucets in the collar. You might also want to install a drip tray under them.
You can let the beer sit for 3 weeks, but usually 10 days to 2 weeks is sufficient. Do NOT allow oxygen anywhere near your beer at this point. It should have been oxygenated on brew day, but I guess we all forgot. (I can't imagine how THAT happened) :wink:
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Previous

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum