Hops Rhizomes

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Hops Rhizomes

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:48 pm

Hello everyone. Im new to this forum, although I have seen the deadyeast signs posted at Marcellos in Lafayette.
I'd like to get my hands on a coupla Cascade rhizomes this spring. Due to the shortage, I dont know im going to be able to get any, but I'd like to try. Do any of you folks have a particular place you like to purchase them? And preferably a place that I can order some in advance?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave
GuitarLord5000

Postby yeastmeister » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:53 pm

Howdy and Welcome to the Forum!

I've ordered with good luck from freshops.com. I highly recommend them. I'm not aware of any place that allows orders in advance however. From freshops, I ordered 7 different varieties in the past. Both in normal size, and in "jumbo" size. The first year, I got production from all the jumbo rhizomes that I purchased.

The availability changes year per year, so no telling what varieties will have jumbo. But if you can find them, They are worth the effort.

They also have great information online as to what to expect, how/when to plant, etc.

My 7 different bines are going strong, in the ground and dying back for the winter like normal. I've purchased enough hops to supplement my brewing till they are ready next year.

Good luck.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:03 am

Wow, thanks for the information! I have freshops bookmarked, and will place an order early springtime. So, you recommend the jumbo rhizomes? Then thats what I'll get.

If you dont mind me asking, what kind of bines do you have growing, and which do you most recommed for a Southern Louisiana climate? I was thinking Cascades, because from everything I've read about them, they are very hardy and would probably like our hot summers.

Thanks again for the inforamation!

Dave
GuitarLord5000

Postby yeastmeister » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:11 pm

Sorry for the delay. I checked the USDA website that's linked from the freshops homepage. I tried to pick up everything that was listed as resistant to the common diseases. I'm trying to go chemical free.

I'm growing Magnum, Challenger, Nugget, Pearle, Hallertauer, Fuggles, and Sunbeam, all managed to sprout from rhizomes, and grew 20+ feet. Only the ones I ordered as jumbo produced any cones the first year, but thats to be expected. I expect better production year 2.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum