Wort for starters

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Wort for starters

Postby triple-oh_six » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:27 pm

So after collecting enough wort for my Imp. porter we ran the remaining pre-boil wort into a carboy.

I planned on measuring out a few of these, freezing them in several containers, then vacuum sealing them in food saver bags.

Will this work alright?
How long will it last?
Should I avoid using this (being porter) for light beers?

The OG is about 1.07
triple-oh_six

Postby yeastmeister » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:54 am

Thats too much sugar for a starter, you want to keep your starters in the 1.030 to 1.040 range.

Best way would be to dilute it out with distilled water till its within that range, put it in quart mason jars, and run them through a pressure cooker (can them using standard canning process). Keep them in a cool dark place, and they will last almost indefinitely.

Even boiled wort is not sterile. Boiling is sanitization, not sterilization. Stuff has already started to grow in them by now. So do whatever you are going to do quickly.

A quick way to test your sanitization practices is to do exactly what you did except with post boil, using the same procedure you use to put it in your fermentation vessel, put it in a sterile/sanitized container without any yeast, and seal it up. If it goes less than 5 days before it starts fermenting, you probably have a sanitization problem. It will eventually start no matter what you do, so don't leave it capped and forget about it.

Bottom line, I don't know about freezing, or how long it will last, but 20 minutes at 15psi will sterilize it.
Last edited by yeastmeister on Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby triple-oh_six » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:20 am

I forgot about it for a while and it sat uncovered for too long.

This morning a kraeusen had kicked up.
I don't have a pressure cooker or jars so I'll hold off on doing this for a while anyway and dump this batch.
triple-oh_six

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum