Hello New guy!

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Hello New guy!

Postby AtomicFrawg » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:26 pm

Well
So I desided to get into this hobby. I brewed my first batch last thursday and bottled today.
I bought the True brew setup and the True brew bock kit. Seems like every thing went ok. It smells like beer. :D

I have a few questions. I did sneak a taste and was expecting a beer type taste. What I got was a hint of beer.
Is this right?
Can I taste the beer after a week in the bottle? (i know it has to sit 3 weeks after bottling) I really just want to make sure everything went well.

It did go through the fermenting stage, the airlock bubbled like crazy for a day and a half. 73'f was the highest temp. I did cooled it down to 70'f .
The instructions said I was ok to 75'f.

I am a noob at this. Any help or tips would be great.

Chris
AtomicFrawg

Postby yeastmeister » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:24 pm

First of all, Welcome!

We love questions. First, you didn't really give us enough information. Not unexpected, but you need to tell us batch size, did you follow the true brew directions to the letter, which kit, how long did it ferment?

I really wish Marcello's would tell folks my first and second and third rules about kits. First rule is throw away the instructions and ask us. Second is to throw out the yeast that came with the kit unless its a Safale packet. Its not Marcello's fault, no company that sold you the kit would tell you so.

If you followed the kit to the letter, I can tell you that yep, what your getting is what I would expect. You will get beer that tastes ok, but slightly weak. But we can help you and give you slightly different instructions with the same kit and make it taste better.

The best thing you can do to improve a kit (contrary to the instructions) is to do a full boil, in other words, boil the entire volume of liquid, don't boil half and pour it into a cold half. That helps with hop utilizations.

Second is to throw out the yeast (unless its Safale), and get a new packet of yeast. US-05 is almost foolproof.

Third is, don't believe the kit when it says 7 days. No set rule, wort is done fermenting when its done. Look for airlock activity and by hydrometer. 2 weeks is a good rule that usually works.

Either way, if you tasted it, and it was palatable, RDWHAHB, it can only get better from here. We would love to taste your beer at the next meeting and give you some more concrete advice, but your on your way to great beer. But what you have should be drinkable, and your on your way to brewing better beer than you can buy.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby AtomicFrawg » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:51 pm

Thank you for the info.
The kit I used was the true brew bock kit.

I thought for my first batch I would try to follow the directions. So far I have.
I brewed it on thrusday and the bubbling stopped/slowed sat nightish.

I really wanted to come to the last meeting but something came up. I will be at the next one, and Ill have some beer to taste.
My next step is to find out how to make really good beer. I would really like to see a batch made from start to finish.

Chris
AtomicFrawg

Postby redtail28 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:24 am

+1 welcome. Try to make plans to attend National Homebrew Day May 1st at Marcello's. And you can watch a All grain batch being made.

The beer you made will be the best every since you made it and don't believe what your wife/girlfriends say's it's not crap lol
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby aleguy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:50 am

National Home Brew Day, we usually do both a kit and an all-grain batch using the most basic equipment we have or can find. Though our club seems to have one of the highest percentages of automated home breweries anywhere, we (almost) all started with basic setups and extract beers.
As far as bottling after a week, well OK, but if the beer did not clear (unlikely it did) you will have a larger than usual amount of sediment in the bottoms of the bottles.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby triple-oh_six » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:12 am

Welcome, hope to meet you soon.

Good luck with your beer.
triple-oh_six

Postby AtomicFrawg » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:03 pm

Hey thanks,

I look forward to learning alot.
My beer cant be any worst than PBR right :lol:
I kidd!

Chris
AtomicFrawg

Postby AtomicFrawg » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:10 pm

Sooooo after 2 weeks I tried my home brewed Bock.
I know it still has to age another 2-3 weeks But what the hell right?
Damn its good! I have never tasted any thing this smooth. :D (well as a drink ;) ) Now I cant wait to start my next batch.

Chris

AtomicFrawg

Postby aleguy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:16 am

It looks fine to me. No reason to age it any longer unless you want to introduce some of the oxidized character of aged beers. But that would take at least six months.
I heartily recommend you brew another batch to be ready before this one runs out. It sounds like you're hooked. We are always here to help if we can. It's our mission.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum