My first brew day postponed till next weekend

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

My first brew day postponed till next weekend

Postby david79thomas » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:53 am

I'm going to postpone my first brew day to next weekend due to the fact that I don't have any grain or yeast to use and I'm still missing a few parts. I thought I could get it by this weekend, but to make sure I have enough time, next weekend.
So who would like to help? And what day is better for you, Saturday or Sunday morning?
david79thomas

Postby yeastmeister » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:41 am

I'll help out. Saturday would be better for me, but either day would probably work. I'd like to see your system in action. What parts are you missing, and can we help in any way to get it together?
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby david79thomas » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:28 am

I know I'm missing 3 stainless bushings 1/2" to 1/4" and silicone tape. I believe that's all I need to get it running in manual mode without any automation. I even have some cleaner, I believe it's StarSan. Won't know for sure if I need anything else until I really hook it all up and put water through it.

As of now, I have no control box and am not sure how to get a stainless box with cut outs for my switches and controllers. Last night we got the stand ready to be welded and I'm waiting on welders to finish. Then I'll hook up hard pipe gas lines and everything else to it. I have 3 controllers, 3 probes and 2 asco valves to hook up. So I also need a roll of wire. I don't think I need a third valve because the boil kettle valve will be wide open? I just wanted a controller just to have a digital display of the temperature.
Attachments
stand 2.jpg
should be strong enough
stand 2.jpg (34.77 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
stand 1.jpg
These pics are of the stand upside down
stand 1.jpg (32.14 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
david79thomas

Postby david79thomas » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:31 am

yeastmeister wrote:I'll help out. Saturday would be better for me, but either day would probably work. I'd like to see your system in action. What parts are you missing, and can we help in any way to get it together?

Know how to get a stainless control box?
david79thomas

Postby yeastmeister » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:42 am

Check grainger for the bushings. I just checked the website, and it looks like they have them, or can get them real quick.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1LUN2

I've discovered the local grainger has lots of stuff in stock.

I can't help on the control box, but I can tell you that the plastic ones we use work just fine. You can always get a plastic one cheap, and then switch it out if you find a stainless one later on.

We wanna see that sucker automated!
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:07 pm

Where do you get the plastic control boxes from?
GuitarLord5000

Postby yeastmeister » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:25 pm

Got mine from Lowes in the sprinkler supply sections.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:43 am

They are using irrigation control boxes. They work, but they sure aren't pretty, and they have to be modified to allow for the depth of the controller bodies. I'm not happy with them and am still looking for a box for my stand.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby triple-oh_six » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:13 am

Mine's pretty :roll:
triple-oh_six

Postby aleguy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:19 pm

Yeah, pretty ugly. :wink:
Seriously though, you epoxied an aluminum plate to yours.
aleguy

Postby triple-oh_six » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:01 pm

aleguy wrote:Yeah, pretty ugly. :wink:
Seriously though, you epoxied an aluminum plate to yours.

I didn't realize that was cheating :?
triple-oh_six

Postby Imakewort » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:12 am

i used a electrical junction box, just a plastic box about 12x12 with no holes, so you have drill the holes for wires and cut the holes for the love controllers, not water proof so i made mine removable to store inside. You can buy them at lowes or a electrical supply store
Mad dog Brewery
I am not afraid to go fast, it's the crashing and burning that sucks
Corporal BN army
Imakewort

Grain is on it's way! 20 Gallons of Malty Brown Ale

Postby david79thomas » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:19 am

Yeastmeister really came through on helping me order 20 gallons worth of a B3 Malty Brown Ale recipie from morebeer.com. I had no idea what grain to get when they say Pale Malt 2 row Great Britain. I ordered from the Brewmasters Warehouse website. Yeastmeister translated the morebeer language to brewmaster language for me and I was able to get it done. I just heard from the BW site that I should be getting my stuff By Thursday, so I'm hoping for a Friday or Saturday delivery.

So it's on! brew day at my house:
96 Theo St Lafayette, LA 70508
Sunday morning around 9? It can be later if that's too early...

No update on the brewstand. I have a capability of doing it "manually". I also have the asco valves and temp controllers and hardware. I guess we could hook it up kind of rough just to get the automation working
david79thomas

Postby aleguy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:00 am

If you can get a housing for it, we can get your control box together, probably in the time it will take to get your strike water heated. Just be sure you have enough wire, etc. to put it all together. Though it would probably be best if you got a few beers into the Yeastmeister first. He works better that way.
aleguy

Postby jimmiec » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:46 pm

I think it might be good for you to brew manually at least once. Then you might appreciate brewing with the automation a little more. However, I wouldn't mind watch you all put the eletrical and asco valves together.
jimmiec

Next

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum