DIY Milling Dust Collector

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

DIY Milling Dust Collector

Postby Mob_Barley » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:14 pm

I had an idea of using a shop vac with a fabricated head (something that opens up to cover the area above your mill) that could be mounted or just held over your mill to collect all the dust. In case anyone is interested, Lowes has a 6 gallon shop vac on sale now for $19.97 (reg 44.97). Here is a link:

http://dealnews.com/Shop-Vac-3-HP-6-Gal ... 55032.html

I'm not sure about the exhaust, but if you keep it "hose-length" away, you should be able to collect all the dust inside the paper filter of the vac. And if not, you get a nice shop vac for real cheap. A win-win situation.
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby aleguy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:33 pm

??? :shock: :shock: :shock: ???
I never got any significant amount of dust out of the top of my mill. Maybe you should try conditioning your malt? The only dust I get is a bit of flour that comes out when I pull the mill off the bucket, and that's not really much. It's all malt, and I don't want to vacuum it up, I want to put it in my mash.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby Mob_Barley » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:03 am

Most of the dust comes when I pour the malt into the hopper, not when I actually mill the grain. It ends up settling everywhere. No matter how slowly I pour the grain, I still get dust flying up. It's just an idea to keep my brewing room clean. Again, if nothing else, it's a really good price for a shop vac...
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby aleguy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:07 am

I agree it's a good price. I mill outdoors anyway, so dust isn't an issue for me, but I can't say I ever noticed any dust except after milling.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum