Duda Plate Chillers?

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Duda Plate Chillers?

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:47 am

Has anybody seen these plate chillers from Duda Diesel? The 30 plate SS304 looks to have nearly the same surface area as a Therminator, but for less than half the price.
http://stores.ebay.com/DudaDiesel-Alter ... ec0Q2em322
GuitarLord5000

Postby aleguy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:22 am

For $75 it looks like a real bargain. Let us know how it turns out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/30-Plate-SS304-Heat ... 518f395f29
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:02 pm

Be warned. The one you list is 304 stainless, the therminator is 316 stainless.

From wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel

Type 304—the most common grade; the classic 18/8 stainless steel.

Type 316—the second most common grade (after 304); for food and surgical stainless steel uses; alloy addition of molybdenum prevents specific forms of corrosion. It is also known as marine grade stainless steel due to its increased resistance to chloride corrosion compared to type 304. 316 is often used for building nuclear reprocessing plants.

Brewing is a fairly hostile environment, especially when it comes to some of our cleaning chemicals, and the seller seems honest on his page about the corrosion issue....read his description.

At half the cost, you may want to try it out. The worst thing that could happen is that it starts slowly leaking internally and you ruin 2 or 3 batches before the leak gets noticed. Your call however....let us know if you get it, I'd love to actually take a look at it.

When it comes to stainless steel, sometimes, you really do get what you pay for.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:37 pm

Okay Okay! I give up!

I think if the Duda chiller were to last 10 years as they claim, it a steal. I hear where you're coming from though. All stainless ain't equal. So, I did some more searching and came up with this.

http://www.brazetek.com/products/details/29/7/3%5C

Still almost the same amount of surface area as the therminator, made of 316L stainless, and only $112 shipped (free shipping).
I may end up buying one of these in the near future, so if any of you find something wrong with it, please let me know.
GuitarLord5000

Postby yeastmeister » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:48 pm

GuitarLord5000 wrote:Still almost the same amount of surface area as the therminator, made of 316L stainless, and only $112 shipped (free shipping).

Hmmm....where are you seeing the surface area? Near as I can see, from the downloads they have, they don't even list the 26 plate one, so I don't know the dimensions. Not saying its not worth it, just playing devils advocate. This one comes with 3/4", whereas the ones I have seen are 1/2" connectors. Its much easier to come up with 1/2" stuff in brewing than 3/4" (cheaper as well). I believe the Therminator has 40 plates, with 18 wort flow channels, and a total surface area of 6038 sq cm. I don't know how to measure the flow restriction, but the Therminator claims "very low" and is designed to work with gravity feed. This one claims its good up to 435 psi, but doesn't say how low it will actually work at.

I'm not saying no, just pointing out the difference.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:32 pm

yeastmeister wrote:Hmmm....where are you seeing the surface area? Near as I can see, from the downloads they have, they don't even list the 26 plate one, so I don't know the dimensions.

It's the BT3x8 series, so the dimensions should be the same as the BT3x8-30, just with a smaller plate count.
2.99" x 8.11" x 26 plates = 4070 cm2
I had assumed Therminator was a 30 plate design, which is how I was comparing them. You're absolutely right, though. It has 40 plates.
From everything I've been able to find, the Therminator's dimensions are 7.5" x 3" which should put it's surface area at around 5800 cm2 with 40 plates. That's quite a bit more than I had originally figured.
While I'm at it, I guess I should add the Shirron to the mix also. 13" x 3" x 10 plates = 2508 cm2.
(^Estimates only!)

So, it's not as close to the therminator as I'd originally thought. I still think I may get one though.

yeastmeister wrote:Not saying its not worth it, just playing devils advocate.

Good deal. That's what I was hoping for. Thanks! I don't want to go buying something for 100 bucks that won't work for me, or won't work as well as I had hoped. That's why I posted it here.

yeastmeister wrote:I don't know how to measure the flow restriction, but the Therminator claims "very low" and is designed to work with gravity feed. This one claims its good up to 435 psi, but doesn't say how low it will actually work at.

That's a valid point, and one that should be explored for anyone who is considering using one of these for gravity feed. It's not a big concern for me because before I purchase any plate chiller, I'll be buying one of them swanky morebeer pumps, and that's going to be responsible for all my wort transfers.

yeastmeister wrote:This one comes with 3/4", whereas the ones I have seen are 1/2" connectors. Its much easier to come up with 1/2" stuff in brewing than 3/4" (cheaper as well).

Yeah, but couldn't you just use some cheap nylon adapters to get the chiller to whatever thread type you like? Then you wouldn't have to buy a bunch of non-standard parts for your brewery.
GuitarLord5000

Postby Mob_Barley » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:17 am

I had this bookmarked. It's a 50 plate 316 Stainless brazed plate heat exchanger for $149 w/ free shipping. What do ya'll think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby yeastmeister » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:29 am

Well, same statements as before in regards to the flow restriction. Anytime I see pressure listed that high, I really begin to wonder if it requires pressure to work.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:58 am

Ahem. Could anyone please explain to me what exactly is wrong with using a good old-fashioned immersion chiller? I know it means you can't use a hop stopper, but other than that?
Besides, clean-up is a breeze with the IC, whereas you need caustic etc. to clean a plate chiller properly. since it's never fully exposed to sanitizing temperatures, I would think there are innumerable crevices in which spoilage organisms could live and grow. Just my 2 cents.
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:39 am

What you state is the main reason I stopped using my immersion chiller. I couldn't use my hop stopper. Other than that, I consider the plate chiller to be more sanitary than an immersion chiller. Since the wort never drops below 200 degrees prior to entering the chiller, and is in a closed system after that, no chance of anything contaminating it.

While its true that you can clean it with caustic, its also true that you can pressure cook it to sterilize it, or bake it for an hour to sterilize it.

Personally, I just pump star san through mine for about an hour prior to using it.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:47 am

aleguy wrote:Ahem. Could anyone please explain to me what exactly is wrong with using a good old-fashioned immersion chiller?

Nothing wrong with it at all. I just find that my currect Immersion Chiller is having a hard enough time cooling down 5 gallons of wort, and I'll soon be brewing 10 gallon batches. I figured a decent plate chiller was a pretty economical option. I've also been thinking of going the whirlpool route, with an iced down IC feeding my main IC.

yeastmeister wrote:What you state is the main reason I stopped using my immersion chiller.

Still have that thing laying around? I might like to give this whirlpool idea a try before buying a plate chiller.
GuitarLord5000

Postby yeastmeister » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:34 am

Yep, still around.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:37 am

Just pump ice water through your IC and whirlpool the hot wort. Personally I'm less concerned about airborne contamination than something that might be already growing in my equipment.
BTW you will probably want to pump ice water even through a plate chiller, so either way you are probably stuck buying a sump pump from Harbor freight to chill with. Though i have chilled 10-gallon batches in about 10 minutes using only tap water and my IC.
aleguy

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:21 am

aleguy wrote:BTW you will probably want to pump ice water even through a plate chiller, so either way you are probably stuck buying a sump pump from Harbor freight to chill with.

Nah, I had figured on using my immersion chiller as a pre-chiller either way. I'll chunk it into a bucket of ice water and run tap water through it, connected to either another IC or a plate chiller. The water should be nearly ice cold coming out of the pre chiller, and I wouldn't need any extra pumps.

yeastmeister wrote:Yep, still around.

Once I get a pump, would you mind if I used it for a brew day to give the chilled whirlpool thing a try? That'll be a few months down the road, but I figured I'd put the request in early.

I guess I'll go ahead and ask. What is everyone else using to cool their wort, and how do you like it?
GuitarLord5000

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum