Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Postby yeastmeister » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:39 pm

+1
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:30 am

Hey man, it's just a pipe dream. Don't get your knickers in a twist. :wink:
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby alms66 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:36 am

I think if you open a brewpub around here and focus on the restaurant aspect of it, you might succeed. You will need to have a really good selection of food, and probably something a little innovative as well, as this area is overrun with restaurants all doing the same thing - it's hard to stand out. Having your own brews would help with that, but probably wouldn't be enough to really set you apart.
If you put the brewing first, over the food, you will almost certainly fail around here, IMHO, as there are just too many light-beer drinkers around here to generate enough income on the beer alone.
alms66

Postby john_bethea » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:01 am

I completely disagree. There is a fair portion of the population here that would be very interested in having a brewpub because they don't like or appreciate the "packaged" experience you get at the existing restaurants (mostly chains) and college/dive bars in Lafayette. They all pretty much do the same thing. The ones that are even slightly different (The Green Room, for example) are thriving during this economic downturn. The Green Room serves mostly imports and top-shelf liquors. They do theme nights, which does draw in a variety of crowds, but they aren't surviving on the sale of Budweiser and Miller. This city is screaming for a brewpub, and I am pretty certain it will happen sooner rather than later.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
john_bethea

Postby aleguy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:15 am

Problem is, I have to agree with ALMS66. We had a chain brew pub here and it failed miserably. Louisiana Brewing also went down the tubes.
I believe there ARE more people around here who want a better beer, largely because of marketing by the big three of their own "kraft" beer lines. However, without spectacular food and entertainment, I doubt it would be enough. We have a couple of very good cooks and a couple of very good brewers, one of whom is also very good at looking at the economics of recipe formulation for commercial scale. I believe he is both right and wrong. Any local brew pub should have some standard beers that they watch the economics of so they can set the correct price point to be competitive. I believe the success of beers such as Paolo Santo also show there is room for a few beers that you just make and simply charge whatever is necessary. There will always be enough people who will be willing to pay it. As long as those beers form a small portion of your offerings, it will work.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby jcmoore » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:29 pm

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Johnson's Aleguy. I don't find anything there to be too spicy, in fact, a few dishes I wish they would put just a little bit more... but, I'm a cajun born and raised and I guess we can't get enough. I hope the rest of the club gives it a try though!
jcmoore

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:03 pm

aleguy wrote:Problem is, I have to agree with ALMS66.

So do I.

The vast majority of folks around here think that beer and BMC are synonymous. If you ask most of them what a hefeweizen is, they'll probably tell you it's some sort of cow. Quite a few of them don't even know that there are other beer styles out there. I know, because I was the same way before I started homebrewing.
If you have good food and a selection of good lighter flavored beers (nothing stronger flavored than say, Fat Tire), I think you can make it if you can stay competitive with pricing and have some seriously good marketing. Having a crawfish on the label probably wouldn't hurt. I'm probably not joking about that either.
Providing you can be successful in such an endeavor, I think then you could start brewing the occasional beer that has a bit more flavor, or is a bit off the beaten path. Some 'educational' beers, if you will.
GuitarLord5000

Previous

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum