Missing the Feb. meeting

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Missing the Feb. meeting

Postby triple-oh_six » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:57 pm

Well, as most of you know I was laid off on the 15th. In my line of work it's pretty common to change companies when we finish a big job. I was fortunate to stay with the same boss for 3.5 years.
Anyway, I got a new job with a 50% pay increase and instead of a 350 mile (one way) commute to Texas I'll be working near Lake Charles. I will still be living my weekdays in a hotel but I'm much closer to home.
So I start tommorrow morning, which means I will miss the meeting :( , please excuse my absence and enjoy the barleywine.
Hopefully next month I can work something out. I was told that my new boss is pretty flexible but I'm going to have to feel out the situation first.
Can't wait for that first paycheck, gonna be nice :twisted:
triple-oh_six

Postby BayouBrew » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:52 am

Congrats on the new job and the raise Trip.

You should start a club in Lake Chuck while you are over there. The state needs more clubs and I know that there are homebrewers there.

PS - be sure to check out Tony's Pizza on Prien Lake Rd. near the mall. The "Tony's Special" pizza is awesome.
President - Malt Munching Mash Monsters

Shreveport, LA

http://www.maltmunchingmashmonsters.com
BayouBrew

Postby aleguy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:33 am

You might as well start a club there, but you'll probably have to find a storage place with lenient policy towards what goes on. I doubt any hotel would be happy to have you brewing on the premises, but an outdoor storage facility would allow you to lock up your equipment and fermenting wort as well as provide a place to brew. You just need to find one that has electricity for a second-hand refrigerator that you can use as a fermentation cabinet.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby triple-oh_six » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:26 am

Thanks for the congrats, and I'll be sure to check out that pizza place, my hotel is right by there.

As far as starting a club there, I hopefully won't be spending enough time there to. I think most of my time will be spent busting ass, and getting work done. Apparently a lot of what I'm doing will be from my laptop so hopefully I'll be able to get away with only being there 2 or 3 nights a week.
triple-oh_six

Postby redtail28 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:30 pm

Lake Charles is not that bad
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby BayouBrew » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:18 pm

Also, if you have some time to drink beer, Pappy's at the corner of Ryan St. and 18th was the best beer bar in my college days. That was 7 years ago, but they had the best selection of taps, not too good for bottles though. Monday was "Big Ass Beer Night" where you could get a 22oz mug for the some price as a normal pint. Lake Charles really isn't that bad, but I'm probably biased since I spent the first 25 years of my life there.

Shreveport, LA

BayouBrew

Postby redtail28 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:01 am

Not to mention they have a beach :shock:
:shock: :oops: :roll:
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby triple-oh_six » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:10 pm

It's ok, I'd just prefer to be home every night. The work is a bit different but I'm catching on, I think.
Say Bayoubrew, you know of any good bottle shops around here.
The one thing I will miss about working in Texas is Spec's. I'm gonna miss DFH, Oskar Blues, and Lagunitas.
triple-oh_six

Postby BayouBrew » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:15 pm

Sorry, can't help you with a bottle shop. When I moved away there wasn't really a good one, but that may have changed. There was one place on Lake St. (Lake Street Liquor maybe) which may be your best bet if they are even still around. You'd probably be better off just asking around since my info is dated.

Shreveport, LA

BayouBrew

Postby triple-oh_six » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:42 pm

Thanks man, I'll find one, I asked a guy at lunch but the dudes directions were not even worth trying.
I hit up Albertsons and the selection was better than ours back home.
No Torpedo but they had everything that the Johnston st store has + La Fin, Maudite, Lazy Mag, all 3 Chimay, Flying dog (5 or 6 styles + the sampler 12) to name a few.
BTW, Tony's pizza was pretty damn good, not Alesi's good, but good none-the-less, and 2 blocks from the hotel. Thanks for the recomendation.
triple-oh_six

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum