Wheat Beer
SG 1.2408
1 can Wheat Malt
1 lb. Wheat
1 oz. Hallertau
1 oz. Liberty
2 tspns. Ground Sage
peels of 5 navel oranges

Started 1-17-10, the yeast made a beautiful head before being pitched, then it made a nice head that evening in the primary, but it went away fairly quick over the next 2 days. It is definitely making alcohol, you cannot stick your nose down in it or the CO2 gases will take your breath away. Does it sound like i'm gonna be okay?
percmd

Postby yeastmeister » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:15 am

Sounds normal. With the ingredients you listed, its gonna be a very low alcohol session beer. I think you listed your SG a little wrong. Its 1.025 according to my calculations, not 1.2408 as you listed. Looks like its going to be about a 2.4% alc by volume brew. So the yeast chewed through all the sugars in a day.

Give it another couple of days and it should be done.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby percmd » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:45 pm

yeh, i wrote it wrong, it was supposed to be 1.025. forgot my 0 and the rounding off! thanks. does it still have to go the full 2 weeks before bottling?
percmd

Postby percmd » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:45 pm

i was doing some reading, shouldn't i have added in for the 1 lb. wheat being steeped in? that is considered fermentable sugars right? if so, my SG should have been 1.044 with the available sugars, i think, although it did read 1.025 on the hydrometer. just wondering if i should add in for the grains and is that what they are calling "steeped flavoring malts" in the book i have? i'm confused with this part of making my own recipe.
percmd

Postby yeastmeister » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:21 am

Actually, I did calculate the additional sugar from the wheat malt. Without it, it only comes to 1.020. I'm using beersmith, and when I add in 3lbs of wheat liquid extract (1 can), and 1 lb of wheat malt (presuming you steeped it sufficiently), it comes out to 1.024, so according to beersmith, you actually did get the predicted sugars from the wheat malt.

Warning: Malt lesson coming (with math)....

Wheat malt has a potential of 1.038 SG and a dry yield of 82.23% according to beersmith. What thats telling you is basically for a unit weight of raw material, the weight of extract in a unit volume of solution must be equal to the unit weight times the extract potential by weight. (no I didn't repeat that from memory, its the definition).

That gives (English units):
1lb (%yield) = 2.59 (SG - 1) 8.338
or
in the case of this wheat malt
38 (%yield) = points/lb/gallon

So, your 1 lb or 1.038 potential wheat malt gave you
38 * .8223 = points/lb/gallon
or
31.24 points/lb/gallon

Presuming a 5 gallon batch, you could get a maximum of 6.25 points of gravity from that 1 lb of wheat malt, also presuming you could get 100% of the sugars. Most homebrew recipies are done considering 65% efficiency, and that seems to be the case here, 65% of 6.25 is the 4 points of gravity you got.

Looks like you got 20 points from the 3 lbs of wheat extract, and 4 points from the malt, so you got 1.024 SG.

Hope that helps....
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:22 am

Frankly I'm surprised you got much of anything from the wheat alone. It's not supposed to have enough amylase to convert all it's own starches. I guess you'll find out when you take your terminal gravity reading. Then you can calculate how much fermentable sugar was actually in your beer
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:26 pm

Nope, actually, White wheat malt has more than enough diastatic power to convert itself and other stuff as well. According to Briess's site, their wheat has as much diastatic power as their 6-row.

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Base_Malts.htm#WhiteWheat

Yeah, it goes against everything you read online, but then again, thats why we are here. Lots of bad info on the net. But we try and put our stuff with references. Thats the malters website above, if they say its a base malt, gotta believe them. They can provide the testing results to prove it. I think the old stuff you read that wheat doesn't have the diastatic power to convert itself is for the raw unmalted stuff that I use in my Witbiers.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby percmd » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:54 pm

I did a SG today: 1.015

Okay, so i need to do an SG 3 days in a row to see if it stays the same, right? If so, the beer is ready to be bottled, correct? Or do i have to use the "2 weeks to play it safe" rule? What is the right way to do it? My last batch came out awesome, i waited 2 weeks before bottling, but i had 3 days of Krausen and the SG was much higher for that batch. Anyway, it is beginning to smell like beer in the fermenter, so i'm happy! :D
percmd

Postby yeastmeister » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:00 pm

Well, technically, your doing an FG, not an SG. SG is Starting Gravity, FG is Final Gravity. But yep, 3 days apart (not every 3 days), take a gravity reading. If its stable, your good to bottle. If not, let it go another 3 days. The whole 2 weeks thing is basically true and will be safe for most brews, but its not 100%. The 3 day measuring stuff is what you need to really pay attention to. RDWHAHB.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum