Beer for the public event

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Beer for the public event

Postby gordonbl » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:44 pm

If I'm not mistaken some of the beer that was cooked at the last meeting was for the june or july public event. What were those beers and has any
other beers been offered?

I'm thinking of a truebrew brown ale kit to be offered for the taste trial.
If I do this, would I have to finish it in a keg? Has anyone in the club
brewed this kit and is there anything that could be done differently from the included ingredrnts and directions that would improve the finished beer.
Is there enough time for the beer to be aged properly before this event?

Thanks for any input.
gordonbl

Postby yeastmeister » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:54 pm

The brew that was made for the event that weekend was a Robust Porter.

For the event, I'm making a Schwarzbier (already aging), a Hefeweizen, and a Belgian Wit.

I believe IGOR is making an Oatmeal Stout, and a Apricot Wheat (already aging).

Some others have indicated they will make something, but we can use anything anyone is offering, duplicates are welcome as well. It won't go to waste, if we don't serve it there, we will use it at a club event, or you can take it back. We just don't want to run out like all the breweries did last year.

It should have no problems being drinkable by that time, needs to be in a keg (contact one of us if you don't have one, and we will see what we can do to get your brew in one), and the only thing different, is that we are going to force carbonate it instead of using priming sugar or other means.

Anything you can make will be greatly appreciated. As I stated at the event however, a night or two prior to serving at the event, we will get whoever can make it together to give all the potential brews a tasting. Anything flawed in any way is not going to be served to the public. Noone is immune, since this is a public event, we don't want anyones very first taste of homebrew to be anything less than spectacular.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:16 pm

since the beer will be force carbonated, then the kit should be fine. If you were going to prime it I'd say throw away the corn sugar and prime with DME at a rate specific to the container it will end up in. If you do one for yourself, you might want to throw another pound of DME in the brew kettle to give it a fuller malty taste, but I don't think it's worth doing for a tasting. the beer merely has to be flawless. It doesn't need to be exceptional.
aleguy

Postby Imakewort » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:11 pm

I am making 10 gal. apricot wheat, dunkelweizen, Fat tire ale, Red rocket ale which is supposed to be one of the most popular amber ales on the west coast. if time a oat stout or American foreign stout. hope they pass inspection before the event.
Imakewort

Postby redtail28 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:05 pm

I made that brown ale kite way back.I add a cup of
light brown sugar. It was a very good.
redtail28

Bought the brown ale kit

Postby gordonbl » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:49 pm

and also bought a pound of extra light dried malt extract. Planning to use this insteed of the corn suger included with the kit.
I'm guessing that since this will be force carbonated in the keg that I'll
need to add all of the sugers in the boil including the dme that will take the place of the corn charging suger.

I don't mind buyig a keg from Marcellos but I don't have the co2 system
so I'll need help with that and I'll need help with how to properly clean the keg.

Thanks to all!
gordonbl

Postby zeeboz » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:50 pm

I plan to offer a Brown Ale and an American Ale - kegged & forced CO2.
zeeboz

Postby yeastmeister » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:22 am

Great! We need all we can get, especially since some of it may not make it to serving (everything needs to pass the pre-event evaluation). Gulfbrew is asking all the breweries to supply enough for 2000 3oz tastings. That goes right in line with what we have been shooting for all along. I've said numerous times that we were going to need 50 gallons this year (2000 tastings is about 48 gallons). That being said, I'd still like to have a little more than that available.

We are on target to exceed the 50 if everything comes out right.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum