cyser lagering additions

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

cyser lagering additions

Postby jimmiec » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:16 pm

I fermented a cyser in glass and have been lagering (45F) it in a keg with some diced apples, raisins, and dates (6 weeks). It's tasting pretty good but not much spicy flavor from the raisins and dates. It could probably use some more aging though. Would adding some some crushed coriander to the keg and let it lager longer (a couple weeks) add any spicy flavor and aroma? What about some orange and lemon zest to add more fruity flavors and aroma? Or should I just wait and do this in the secondary next time. As soon as Marcello's gets some ball locks I want to transfer the cyser to a new keg to get it off the yeast. I'm help to any ideas.
jimmiec

Postby aleguy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:31 am

I think adding the spices and zest etc. will add some flavor, but how much I don't know. Expect three to four weeks steeping time at a minimum.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby jimmiec » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:47 am

Aleguy: It could use some more aging. Recently when I tasted it, I thought it was ready to go (at least I could stand the flavors) but I think I was just amazed at how much the alcohol flavor had smoothed. I tried it again a couple days later and and it seems like it could use some more aging. I think just some spice and additional fruit flavors would be be nice with the already apple and honey. I'm not sure the raisins and dates did much but maybe hidden by the apple?

Would you suggest transferring again to get it off the yeast, which dropped in the secondary, and then adding the spices and zest?
jimmiec

Postby aleguy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:40 am

It depends on how long you intend to age it. I would probably rack it off, add spices, and package after about 4-6 weeks to let it age in the bottle.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum