conical ferminators

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

conical ferminators

Postby Imakewort » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:00 pm

So how is the glycol chiller working out? I am thinking of switching to conical s and just using a glycol system to chill them. That way I can just add a new conical and be able to expand with out all the extra room a freezer takes up. The big problem is filling it, Moving a 15 or 20 gallon from outside to inside is a lot of work and weight to move around even with wheels.
Mad dog Brewery
I am not afraid to go fast, it's the crashing and burning that sucks
Corporal BN army
Imakewort

Postby yeastmeister » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:18 am

Everything is running smoothly since the March 24th unveiling here on the board. Both conicals have 1.5" triclover fittings on top and bottom. That allows me to do clean-in-place operations. No movement necessary. I use a large hose clamped to the bottom for cleaning operations, and a long silicone hose going from my therminator to a manifold where I inject pure O2 and yeast inline on the way to my conicals where it clamps onto the tri-clover on top. I've got a spray assembly that I can lower into the conical to allow for inline sanitization as well. The march pumps should be able to push wort 50 feet or so through 1/2" hose as long as you keep the elevation fairly level except for the beginning and the end. The floor keeps mine quite level. :)

Haven't had one glitch in the system since we built it, and its been in almost constant use.

Updated pic since I added the leg extensions to the 18 gallon:
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby Imakewort » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:02 pm

i had built my new stand with the idea to go from my current brewing capacity to 20 gallons using Blichmann pots and using same RIMS design since it works so well, I am also thinking of just using glycol chilled conical's, using the design your using but having a recirculating loop to hook up the conical's with quick disconnects to make it easy to remove for cleaning outside And add conicals
I would like to have the chiller part outside if possible to cut down on heat in the room but that might not be possible using a window unit
Mad dog Brewery
I am not afraid to go fast, it's the crashing and burning that sucks
Corporal BN army
Imakewort

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum