Tasted my first brew...

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Tasted my first brew...

Postby percmd » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:55 pm

So i put a bottle in the fridge this evening to try out. It's only been a week since bottling, but i got anxious to see what it tasted like! Popped the top and it hissed at me. Some smokey haze drifted out the neck. Poured it in a frozen mug, nice amber color, with a creamy, full head. Good carbonation fizzing up the side of the glass. It all looks fine, but i find the beer taste a bit yeasty, but with a hint of caramel, maybe a little watered down with a low alcohol content feel to it. So am i just being too impatient by trying it too early? Will it change with a little bit of age to it? I was pretty spot on with the recipe. Give me wisdom, oh great beer peers...

Belgain Wit Bier
SG: 1.042
FG: 1.010
percmd

Postby aleguy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:13 am

Wits are generally lower alcohol beers anyway. They're sort of the Belgian equivalent of light beers. The yeasty taste may drop out over time, but that is also part of the character of the beer, if you are referring to what I think you are.
In any case, it sounds like you have full carbonation. I hope you didn't bottle with too much sugar or you may find them going boom in the night. Don't be too hard on yourself if you're not completely happy with your first effort, and give them a bit more time to mature.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby percmd » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:07 am

How long should they mature? I'm probably just impatient. I do need a few things from Marcello's, so if anyone would be willing to sample it for me, give me a critique, i can bring some when i head that way, i live in Patterson.
percmd

Postby yeastmeister » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:07 pm

If you can make it to the December meeting, stop by, if not, let us know when your going to be in town, some of us would be happy to meet up with you somewhere to give you an opinion in person.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum